Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

make a phonecall over wifi with cellular turned off

Hello,

It is just this simple thing where I can't find a simple answer for. The question is two-fold.

1. When you are located somewhere with a bad cellular connection or no connection at all, is it possible to still make phonecalls when connected to a wifi network? The question is mostly aimed at a "no cellular connection" situation.

2. When making a phonecall with wifi connected on your iPhone and Cellular data turned off, is your phonecall still being sent and received over a cellular network?

Those questions are specifically aimed at the data transfer of a basic phonecall.

Thanks

TH

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1, Black

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:26 PM

5 replies

Nov 20, 2012 4:43 PM in response to TyasHuybrechts

1. If you are in an area where there is poor or no cellular connection, then you would not be able to make a phone call via wifi, unless you are using an app such as Skype.

2. There is no possible way to make a cellular call with cellular turned off, although you could with cellular data turned off if you have a cellular signal. You cannot make a cellular call via wifi. A call via wifi would be as I described in the first answer.

A basic cellular phone call is made over the cellular network. If there is no signal, or no cellular connection, there is no way to make a call. There is also no way to make a call over wifi by just using the basic phone application. It would have to be a specific application that makes data calls, like a VoIP call.

I hope that answers your question.

make a phonecall over wifi with cellular turned off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.