Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to consolidate Dock icons

I have too many icons in my Dock, so many that I have trouble knowing what most of them are (they're just too tiny). How can I consolidate similar icons into one file?

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:06 PM

7 replies

Nov 19, 2012 8:32 PM in response to Niku

You can organize the Dock somewhat by creating aliases of your applications into folders and then adding the folder to your Dock. For instance, if you have several games you like then you can create a folder called Games and add aliases to the programs in that folder. Then when you add the folder to the Dock it will appear as a stack that will open as a list, grid, or fan, that will allow you quick access to all of the contained aliases.

Nov 19, 2012 10:31 PM in response to Topher Kessler

Topher Kessler wrote:

You can organize the Dock somewhat by creating aliases of your applications into folders and then adding the folder to your Dock. For instance, if you have several games you like then you can create a folder called Games and add aliases to the programs in that folder. Then when you add the folder to the Dock it will appear as a stack that will open as a list, grid, or fan, that will allow you quick access to all of the contained aliases.

This is what I was looking for, putting, say, five files into one. I'm going to bed now, but I'll be studying your ideas tomorrow. I don't know how to do everything you suggest now, but I think I'll be able to work things out. Thanks.

Nov 19, 2012 10:34 PM in response to LousyFool

LousyFool wrote:

I may add that you can drag and place the Applications folder into the Dock -> right side, near the trash bin. A right click gives you then options to configure to your liking what you see when clicking on it.

Now that's something new for me. I'll try it tomorrow to see what you mean. Sounds intriguing.

Nov 19, 2012 10:40 PM in response to LousyFool

LousyFool wrote:

You can't.

Be honest, you don't need all these apps all the time. Clean up by removing the less important or seldomly used ones (drag them over the desktop, then let go).

In Dock Preferences you can then increase the Dock size to make it workable again.

---

This wouldn't work for me. I have already lost track of too many applications that I once downloaded, and sometimes paid for. In other words, if they're not in my dock, they can easily be forgotten. I need some way to prevent such losses and having them in my dock is one way to avoid losing them.

How to consolidate Dock icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.