Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hello? My iphoto isn't working. installed upgrader.

Hello,

I installed iphoto upgrader to get some older photos on to iphoto but no luck so far. still won't let me open iphoto at all. Keeps prompting me to install to no avail.

iPhoto '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), I live abroad and have difficulty a

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:59 PM

12 replies

Nov 20, 2012 10:47 AM in response to burniebb

Try the following:

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

• Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.
  • Click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.
  • Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File ➙ Rebuild Library menu option
  • In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
  • Click on the Create button.

• Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

Check to see if all of your photos are now visible in the library. If they are you can try the following on your original library in an effort to get them back and keep your existing albums, slideshows, etc.: make a temporary, backup copy of your library if you don't already have one (Control-click on the library and select Duplicate from the contextual menu) and apply the fix below:

Fix #1

Launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

Since only one option can be run at a time start with Option #1, followed by #3 and then #4 as needed.

NOTE: you could start with the second fix and, if unsuccessful, run the first one, i.e. the iPhoto Library Manger rebuild. Your call.

OT

Nov 20, 2012 6:21 PM in response to burniebb

Well I'm not sure what happened here but I have the photos back so thanks for the help. A question: for some reason I have a ton of duplicates already in iphoto. will backing my library up cause even more duplicates to show up in iphoto? trying to avoid redundancy. I'd rather be redundant than lose photos though. I lived in Spain for a year about 5 years ago and lost all photos from the trip because of trying to make space on my hard drive. I want to avoid that at all cost.

I wish there was a better way to see the 'lay of the land' so to speak. It's really hard to tell what's what and where. libraries, pictures, iphoto, library, on and on. It gets confusing and hard to tell what's where. Any suggestions or directions for tutorials?

Thanks for the help.

Nov 21, 2012 8:55 AM in response to burniebb

Did you at any time import a library into another existing library? That will create 100s of duplicates most of which are useless because the import the thumbnail, faces, originals and modified versions as if they were new original files. Never import one library into another.

If you need to merge two libraries into one use the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager. It will merge them without creating duplicates and while keeping keywords, titles, comments and places intact.

Hello? My iphoto isn't working. installed upgrader.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.