Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

200GB of HD space gone

Macontosh HD has 200GB of space being used for backups. How do I fix this? I would like to free up that space.

Here is a link: Screenshot 1

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 10:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 10:35 PM

Check > http://pondini.org/TM/30.html

5 replies

Nov 19, 2012 10:39 PM in response to Keyfox11

When is the last time you backed up your MBP to Time Machine? Those are local snapshots - you can just leave them alone as they will disappear in a week's time. You could disable local snapshots but I don't recommend it. Just plug your machine up to your Time Machine drive, let it back up and in a week or less that 'space' will be recovered.

Clinton

Nov 19, 2012 11:03 PM in response to Keyfox11

If your MBP needs the space, it will take space from the snapshots area - you haven't really 'lost' 200GB of space - I would imagine that you recently cleaned out some items that took up some space? TM is just giving you a week to get those files back. When I deleted 178GB+ of music from my startup drive, I had snapshots totalling over 200GB - no worries, in a week it was gone.

However, if you want to regain the space 'immediately' (although there's really no reason to do so) you can disable local backups by going into Terminal (Applications>Utilities) and typing:

sudo tmutil disablelocal

Hit Return and enter your admin password... you'll 'regain' the space.

To turn them on again, use:

sudo tmutil enablelocal

Good luck,

Clinton

200GB of HD space gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.