Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh HD is damaged and cannot be repaired.

I recently downloaded and tried installing the new Mountain Lion OS X. After the download i followed all the steps and when i had restarted and started installing, it came with the warning: Macintosh HD is damaged and cannot be repaired, and that i should restart my coumputer. I have tried this several times, and nothing has helped. I have bootcamp on my computer and my windows side works perfectly fine. When i tried looking through my Mac sides files i found a file called OS X install data. I was wondering what would happen if i deleted this file. and how i can fix my problem?

thanks.

MacBook Pro, Macbook Pro 15'' bought in 2011

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 2:57 AM

1 reply

Nov 20, 2012 3:46 AM in response to olseti

Your Mac partition has become badly corrupt. First priority needs to be baking up your data, if you don't already have it backed up. It may already be too late, unfortunately.

If you already have a full system backup, your life is easy... just erase the Mac partition and restore from the backup. If it's a Time Machine backup, see How do I restore my entire system?.

If you didn't have backups already, once your data is backed up, you need to erase the hard drive and reinstall the system from scratch, then import data only from your backup. Reinstall any apps from scratch.

If you are unable to make a backup, you may be very badly screwed, but you can try repairing the drive with DiskWarrior. It may repair the problem, or it may fail to and destroy some of your data in the attempt. (Anything you do is a risk without backups.)

Macintosh HD is damaged and cannot be repaired.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.