Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Photos During OX Re-install

I wiped out my OS-X Mtn Lion HD by mistake. When I reloaded my old software (iPhoto, iWork, iLife, etc) I get the following error message while trying to open my photo library that apparently is lost.

"You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Please quit and use the latest version of iPhoto".

I can't open any version of iPhoto. I hope my photo library is not lost. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Would these have been uploaded into the cloud? If so, how do I access the cloud photos? The library was on my iMac, not my iPhone.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 6:10 AM

4 replies

Nov 20, 2012 6:29 AM in response to Never To Old

How did you install iPhoto originally? Did it come preinstalled on your Mac, or did you buy an installation DVD/CD?

And how did you reinstall your iLife and iWorks applications? From the original installation media? Then you will have installed older versions than the last ones you used with your iPhoto library. Try to update iPhoto again to the last version you used with your iPhoto library.

Dec 11, 2012 2:04 PM in response to léonie

Original install was from CD I purchased (iLife). I believe this upgraded iPhoto which came on the computer four years ago.

In the meantime iPhoto or iLife was upgraded and I purchased that online without CD.

When I re-installed I only had the original version of iLife, something like 9.0.3.

I am certain iLife was updated at some point in 2011 and I bought that but I can't use it because I purchased online and not a hard copy. It is not on my purchases showing in iTunes.

"Try to update iPhoto again to the last version you used" is the problem. I can't. I only get the error message.

Dec 11, 2012 2:28 PM in response to Never To Old

I can't use it because I purchased online and not a hard copy. It is not on my purchases showing in iTunes.

If you purchased online from the App Store, you should be able to reinstall from the App Store, not from the iTunes store. The iTunes Store is for Music and IOS apps, not Macintosh applications.

Launch the AppStore and sign in with the Apple ID that you used to buy your iPhoto. Then you should see iPhoto in the "Purchased" tab of the AppStore.

Regards

Léonie

Dec 11, 2012 6:00 PM in response to léonie

First, many thanks for attempting to help. I did find out this evening that I am able to view all photos in finder. There must be some type of problem between the iPhoto icon and the library.

I'm pleased to know the photos are still on my HD. I hate to sound so ignorant but I cannot find where I upgraded iPhoto (via iLife?) on the Apple App store. I just do not recall where I got the product.

Lost Photos During OX Re-install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.