Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed iDVD from iLife 11 and now iPhoto won't open

Despite the decree from Apple that physical media is dead, I still wanted to make a DVD of something I made in iMovie but I could not find iDVD anywhere on my 2011 Mac Mini. Since iDVD was available in the App Store, I bought a copy of iLife '11 from Amazon and installed iDVD only (everything else was greyed out, except iWeb which I deselected). Now I can no longer open iPhoto! I can't remember the exact dialog box warning, but something about being damaged (I'm away from my Mac). I ran software update and there was an update for iDVD which I installed. I've restarted, I've repaired permissions, and nothing works. I've tried holding down Option while opening iPhoto but it still says it's damaged or incomplete.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:37 AM

iLife could reinstall some files unsupported with the latest iPhoto version. Open Launchpad, hold Option key and uninstall iPhoto. Finally, go to App Store > Purchases and install iPhoto

5 replies

Nov 20, 2012 8:39 AM in response to Gumby_Mac

Does the program need to be iDVD? I think the problem may be that the iLife with iPhoto came installed, and you basically installed a part of ANOTHER copy of iLife over top of it, which may be prohibiting iPhoto to run. If you need to make DVD's, just basic ones, you can stick a blank DVD in a Mac Optical Drive sold from Apple.com, go to finder, drag and drop files, and hit burn. If you need something more creative, Pinnacle Studio Ultimate (if available for mac) comes with a dvd burner I think.

Nov 20, 2012 9:06 AM in response to MacBookPro13user

In order to burn DVDs which are playable in DVD players (and TV), you need authoring/burning software - Finder cannot do that. It can burn DVDs which will play in computers, but not in DVD players. And yes, there are other burn software solutions; however, not one is close to the capabilities of iDVD.

For the OP: How did you initially obtain iPhoto? I would do a systemwide search and throw anything with iPhoto in the trash (don't empty!) - then reinstall iPhoto from the Mac App Store (if that is where you got it initially). If you can get past those hiccups, iDVD works well with both Lion and Mountain Lion; I have it installed and just finished a big movie project with it.

Nov 20, 2012 11:43 AM in response to Gumby_Mac

Thankfully this solved my problem! I made sure to copy the "iPhoto Library" file from my Pictures directory before starting, but after installing I did a restart and iPhoto opened and all my photos and albums were intact. Thank you!

To the other commenter, I do have Adobe Encore, but I just wanted iDVD because it's faster and more professional looking than anything I can make at the moment.

Installed iDVD from iLife 11 and now iPhoto won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.