Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I share the .band file to my friend for edit/record his track?

I have a band we intent to use GarageBand to record our song by recording our instruments.

But it can't import ".band" file in file sharing in itunes.

GarageBand (iPad), iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 9:59 AM

16 replies

Nov 25, 2012 12:31 AM in response to léonie

I want to share my project with my bandmate who using iphone4s, I'm using iPad 2, I export garage band file in iTunes at below step:

1. Export created song in gb app in gb format(not m4r)

2. Connect my pc and Sync with iTunes

3. Got the file in "file sharing" app tag in iTunes

4. Export the select file (.band)

5. I send .band(windows shown as folder) to my friend.

6. We found cannot "add" to file sharing in same place.

Thanks for reply.

Nov 25, 2012 12:51 AM in response to léonie

Léonie

Below is the step I stopped, because windows shown .band is a folder. I can drag or "add"

--------

Do one of the following:

Drag a song to the Documents list.

Click Add, navigate to the location of the song you want to add, select it, then click Choose.

--------

Yes, you are right. I'm not using Mac.

Many thanks for your help.^^

Regards

Pn0061

Nov 25, 2012 3:28 AM in response to pn0061

Annoyingly the Windows version of iTunes doesn't handle .band projects properly. You can use .iTunes to transfer a project from one device into the file sharing area for the app and save it to your computer, but you can't drag a .band folder into that area to upload to another device. In contrast a round trip is possible for iMovieMobile as those project folders are rolled up into a .zip file. I, and others, have submitted bug reports but as yet there has been no change.

The best workaround I've come across is iFunBox. Share the GarageBand project to iTunes on the device in the normal way, connect it to a computer running iFunBox, click the iFunBox Classic button, expand the tree to show App File Sharing > GarageBand and drag the project folder to your computer. Connect the other device, show the App File Sharing > GarageBand view, drag the project folder in, then in GarageBand on the device use the plus symbol in the My Songs view to copy the project from iTunes.

My only slight reservation is that AVG flagged up one of the components of iFunBox as a security risk, although having let AVG take remedial action the iFunBox program carried on working and there is no sign that AVG actually quarantined any files. I suspect a false positive, the program has been around for some time and has plenty of good recommendations. I'm sure if it were known to be malicious I'd have found the evidence.

tt2

May 20, 2014 5:00 PM in response to Fatstratman

Fatstratman wrote:

I know this is an older topic, but I'm new to Garageband and I am trying to do this very thing.

So once I drag the project folder in to my PC, can I then email that folder to someone who could do the reverse so they can work on the same project in their garageband...

That's the plan. 😉

They use their computer and device to work on the project.

tt2

May 26, 2014 10:47 AM in response to léonie

Ok so I followed the instructions above. It all worked as expected until when I went to copy the folder from the ITunes store it told me it "Cannot Open Song" and said it was created with GarageBand for Mac, but it was not! We both only have IPads, and we recorded the original tracks on one Ipad. Why would it think it was created by Garageband for Mac?

May 27, 2014 8:56 PM in response to Fatstratman

Ok I figured this out. The files we were trying to transfer were too large for email. So we tried to upload to file storage sites but the download came in as a .zip file, which changed something resulting in me not being able to open it after extracting it to a folder.

So we got a file sharing site where we could upload and download folders. Combined with the above information on ifunbox this worked! It is a bunch of steps, but it works well.

Can I share the .band file to my friend for edit/record his track?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.