Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari crashes-.Neoscreensavermaker.png plugin

This is the second time in the last year or so that Safari crashes and will give me a problem report saying using the .Neoscreensavermaker.png plugin. I have searched everywhere in my computer and I can't find it to delete. This is what the report says:

Process: Safari [850]

Path: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari

Identifier: com.apple.Safari

Version: 5.1.2 (6534.52.7)

Build Info: WebBrowser-75345207~2

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [91]

PlugIn Path: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/.NeoScreenSaverMaker.png

PlugIn Identifier: .NeoScreenSaverMaker.png

PlugIn Version: ??? (???)

Date/Time: 2012-11-20 14:39:39.380 -0400

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 247787 sec

Crashes Since Last Report: 23

Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 164797 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 23

Anonymous UUID: 8CCAA4EA-4A0F-4BE3-B9F6-5EB30AD6B508

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 1

Application Specific Information:

abort() called

I've updated everything twice in the last week, as that's what I thought fixed the problem the last time. Anyone have any idea what I can do to get rid of this plugin that is apparently no where to be found?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 11:00 AM

3 replies

Nov 20, 2012 12:17 PM in response to AndreaZ

You’ve been infected with the “Flashback” malware. See this Apple support document:

About Flashback malware

Back up all data, if you haven't already done so.

Select Software Update to install the latest Java update, as well as any other available updates. That should clear the infection in most cases. You must update to the latest version of OS X 10.6 or 10.7 before you can install the Java update.

The removal tool runs automatically in the background and is then deleted. Don’t look for something to click. If the malware is removed, you’ll be notified.

After you’ve secured your system — not before — change every Internet password you have, starting with banking passwords, and check all financial accounts for unauthorized transactions.

Nov 20, 2012 11:32 PM in response to AndreaZ

AndreaZ wrote:

This is the second time in the last year or so that Safari crashes and will give me a problem report saying using the .Neoscreensavermaker.png plugin.

This is the second example I've seen this week diagnosed as Flashback and you have really peaked my curiosity. A couple of A-V vendor labs have declared Flashback "extinct" and although it's conceivable that you were infected back in the Spring when it was still infecting Macs, it's hard to believe that it has survived through the two times you updated everything. Can you describe how you did that? Do you know if it included running Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 11 which includes a Flashback Malware Removal Tool that should have removed that plugin?

Nov 21, 2012 10:26 PM in response to AndreaZ

AndreaZ wrote:

Path: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari

Identifier: com.apple.Safari

Version: 5.1.2 (6534.52.7)

Something else I find curious is that you obviously didn't replace Safari twice as this version is over a year old and should have been updated to v5.1.7 back in May. Had you done so then the problem you are having would have gone away with the update.

You can still get it here Safari 5.1.7 for Snow Leopard

Safari crashes-.Neoscreensavermaker.png plugin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.