Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod touch 5g won't charge/turn on?

I just got a brand new iPod touch 5g this month for my birthday. I've had it for a little over a week and it has been working perfectly. I went on a trip to Kansas City this weekend, and used my ipod during the ride up there. It drained the battery substantially, and it must have died. When I got home to charge it, I plugged it into my computer and waited for iTunes to recognize the device, but it won't. When I try to do anything on the iPod, this image appears:

User uploaded file

and then it vanishes after a few seconds.

When I go to turn the iPod on, it won't. And now it won't charge and the above image is the only thing that appears when I try to do anything. I've tried plugging it in and waiting for periods of time, but that didn't work. I've tried restoring it, but whenever iTunes downloads "iTunes Software Update" I get an error message when it's finished downloading.

What is wrong with the iPod? Is the battery defective? Is there a way I can fix this at home or do I have to take it in to Apple? Or is there a simple solution to this that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

iPod touch, iOS 6

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 12:46 PM

26 replies

Nov 20, 2012 1:53 PM in response to YurokJones

Try:

- iOS: Not responding or does not turn on

- Also try DFU mode after try recovery mode

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

- If not successful and you can't fully turn the iOS device fully off, let the battery fully drain. After charging for an least an hour try the above again.

- If still not successful that indicates a hardware problem and an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store is in order.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Also, try another cable. There have been problems with the Lightning cable. It contains active components, not just wire.

Nov 20, 2012 4:25 PM in response to lllaass

I put it into recovery mode, and then iTunes recognizes there is a device. I clicked restore, and downloaded the iTunes Software Update (which took awhile), but when it finishes, an error message pops up. I've repeated this several times to no avail. I've also just simply left the iPod plugged into the computer to charge, but it stays constantly red as the above picture indicates.

Nov 21, 2012 6:51 AM in response to YurokJones

Error 1604

This error is often related to USB timing. Try changing USB ports, using a different dock connector to USB cable, and other available USB troubleshooting steps (troubleshooting USB connections. If you are using a dock, bypass it and connect directly to the white Apple USB dock connector cable. If the issue persists on a known-good computer, the device may need service.

If the issue is not resolved by USB isolation troubleshooting, and another computer is not available, try these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Connect the device to iTunes, confirm that the device is in Recovery Mode. If it's not in Recovery Mode,put it into Recovery Mode.
  2. Restore and wait for the error.
  3. When prompted, click OK.
  4. Close and reopen iTunes while the device remains connected.
  5. The device should now be recognized in Recovery Mode again.
  6. Try to restore again.

If the steps above do not resolve the issue, try restoring using a known-good USB cable, computer, and network connection.

Error 1600, 1601, 1602

Follow the steps listed above for Error 1604. This error may also be resolved by disabling, deactivating, or uninstalling third-party security, antivirus, and firewall software. See steps in this article for details on troubleshooting security software.

Nov 21, 2012 10:45 AM in response to lllaass

None of that seems to be working. However, I feel like the problem is none of those steps are working simply because the battery is so low. But it isn't recognized when I plug it into the computer! I can put it into recovery mode though, and it'll get recognized. Is there possibly a way I can charge it in recovery mode? I feel like this could all be solved if I could just give it enough juice to power whatever else it needs to do.

Nov 26, 2012 2:37 PM in response to RKClements

As I posted on Nov 23rd, I have been having the same problem with my itouch 5. Apple sent me a new lightning cable today but it made no differecne. So I called Apple back and they said I have to send the itouch in for reapir or replacement. They had me try to do a hard reset but the screen remailed blank. Fortunately it is still under warranty. I have not tried leaving it plugged into the computer for an extended time but at this point I am content to send it into Apple and hopefully get it back working like it should.

Dec 1, 2012 9:07 PM in response to YurokJones

I am having the same problem. I bought my iPod Touch 5 a month ago and it suddenly couldn't turn on. On iTunes, it detects it in DFU mode and Recovery Mode. It gives me error 1600 when I try to restore, and none of the solutions given to me works. Also, the screen is always black. It doesn't show an apple logo whenever I try to boot up or go into recoverymode. (Also doesn't show the iTunes+USB Cord in recovery mode)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

iPod touch 5g won't charge/turn on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.