Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which is the best way, to connect DELL S2340L monitor to MacBook Air 11"?

I will buy a new monitor, a DELL S2340L. http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-s2340l/pd

It's a FullHD monitor, and has a D-SUB (VGA) and HDMI connection port on the back.

How can I connect it to my MacBook Air, which has a Mini Display Port, to get HD quality?

I have a converter at home like this: http://appledistrict.com/wp-content/plugins/jobber-import-articles/photos/142959 -how-to-connect-macbook-pro-to-view-on-tv.png

I don't know which type of cable I will get in the monitor's box... I can see on DELL's official site (my country version) that there is no HDMI cable in the box, but there is a VGA cable.

If I connect my Mac to the MiniDP > VGA converter, and the converter to the VGA > VGA cable and the cable to the monitor's VGA port, it will be FullHD, or not? If not, what are the possibilitys to connect the monitor to the MacBook to get FullHD?

Thanks for the help!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 2:56 PM

You won't want to go over VGA.

This adapter will work - http://store.moshimonde.com/hdmi-adapter-1.html

An HDMI cable will then allow you to connect between the TV and the adapter. The cable will come in various lengths so you'll want to buy the most applicable. The HDMI cable you buy, will need a male connector on each side (which is usually standard).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2012 2:56 PM in response to horvathjanos

You won't want to go over VGA.

This adapter will work - http://store.moshimonde.com/hdmi-adapter-1.html

An HDMI cable will then allow you to connect between the TV and the adapter. The cable will come in various lengths so you'll want to buy the most applicable. The HDMI cable you buy, will need a male connector on each side (which is usually standard).

Aug 8, 2013 11:08 AM in response to JasonFear

Hey there, lately i happened to meet the same question,

trying to set up my new dell s2340l monitor to be the additional for my macbook air, my macbook air would be

"13-inch, Mid 2011", and i am using MiniDP->HDMI Combo-> HDMI, and when connect to dell, can not set the dell monitor to 1080p, if set to 1080p for the dell, the monitor will keep flashing and shows really not stable like bad signal or something. but if set to 720p, that would be fine.

beside that, i use my girl friend's macbook pro bought around early 2010, the screen can shows currectly. i think that means the connection line is all right?

i googled for like 4 hours, and can not find the same case here. do u have any suggestion?

Aug 12, 2013 7:21 AM in response to Alex_rr

hey, there, for those who may need help on air to dell monitor or macbook air to 1080P resolution on external monitor, my problem solved, hope this can help more people.

my macbook configuration is

2011-mid 13"

Intel graphics HD 3000 384MB

the problem at first is: can connect to my HD monitor Dell S2340L, and can show image, but only can show on the dell monitor if the dell monitor is set to resolution 720P or below, if set to 1080i or 1080p all can not work, will keep flash and have black line column lines.

since i am using a macbook air,unlike macbook pro that can switch graphic card, have tried many ways to do it. after change "MDP male to HDMI male" cable for 2 times, finally go and change to "MDP to DVI adapter" connect "DVI adapter to HDMI male", finally works really well.

before this solution, i actually thought this would not have solution at all due to the macbook air 13" is using Intel graphics HD 3000 384MB, which may not be so well done in double desktop. but the dvi adapter works just great, hope these can solve some one else's problem.

Feb 10, 2014 8:24 AM in response to Alex_rr

Hi Alex,

I am facing the same problem. I currently use a Macbook Pro 13" 2010 version running on OSX Mavericks and I recently bought a Dell S2340L.

It doesnt work on 1080p, black lines keep signalling then black screen. On 1080i, the picture does not go full screen and looks very blur. It only works on 720p but I want it to work on 1080p.

I use a MDP direct to HDMI. If I get a MDP to VGA adaptor then connect my VGA cable to the monitor will it enable me to use on 1080i?

Appreciate your soonest response.

Thanks,

Vincent

Which is the best way, to connect DELL S2340L monitor to MacBook Air 11"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.