Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating OS 10.6.8 startup USB thumb drive

I am going to install a larger HD so I need a bootable CD or thumb drive because my original install disk will not boot my MacBook3,1. My intention is to restore from Time Machine.

I remember years ago pre OS X that you could make a minimal sys disk from the files on the startup HD. Is this possible with OS X? Or otherwise how can I make a bootable disk or thumb drive that will start my MacBook?

I read that with Lion you can restore the entire drive including sys files directly from Time Machine but my MacBook3,1 is not compatable with Lion.

Any recommendations how I can accomplish this?

MacBook, Installing new HD

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 8:36 AM

The MacBook 3,1 (Late 2007 model) is compatible with Lion as long as it has sufficient RAM and disk space.

Your best bet may be to get an external hard drive and clone the internal system to it. Use a backup program such as Carbon Copy Cloner. It's easy and reliable, and you end up having a useful external hard drive when you are done.

Best of luck.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2012 8:36 AM in response to OnePotato

The MacBook 3,1 (Late 2007 model) is compatible with Lion as long as it has sufficient RAM and disk space.

Your best bet may be to get an external hard drive and clone the internal system to it. Use a backup program such as Carbon Copy Cloner. It's easy and reliable, and you end up having a useful external hard drive when you are done.

Best of luck.

Nov 21, 2012 7:24 PM in response to OnePotato

It's mainly the video card. The Models 2,1 through 4,1 have video cards with non-upgradeable 32bit drivers. The model 5,1 Late 2008 and newer have at least the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with 64bit drivers. Mountain Lion requires 64bit native drivers. Mountain Lion no longer supports Intel's GMA 950 or GMA X3100 graphics processors.

While Lion used some 32 bit and a lot of 64 bit code, Mountain Lion is pure 64 bit, which excludes more systems than Lion did. It's not something you can add memory to, for example, as it involves the base architecture.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57470261-263/older-64-bit-macs-out-of-the-p icture-for-mountain-lion/?tag=mncol;txt

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57387846-263/will-your-mac-run-mountain-lio n/

Creating OS 10.6.8 startup USB thumb drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.