Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up static IP addresses in network

Since neither Belkin nor Motorola customer support were of (any!) help, I am hoping the Apple Community may have a solution ...

We just upgraded internet service to Comcast Business and updated network hardware to accommodate a new office layout

- unfortunately, we have been experiencing problems with IP address conflicts since the upgrade:

every time a sleeping laptop is waking up, we get am error message about conflicting IP addresses.

Since we were not able to run Ethernet to all new office spaces, we added a Belkin range extender to "bridge the gap".

New set up is as follows:

Internet > Motorola Modem & Router (SBG6580) > WFi > Belkin Range Extender (F9K1106)

WiFi > various Mac laptops, iPads, smart phones

Ethernet > AppleTV, Google TV, Time Capsule & Airport Express, both in router mode: Off (Bridge Mode)

Reading through other Apple discussions, it sounds like we may have to set up static IP addresses for each machine?

Question: how do you set up those IP Addresses (& where do you find out the address numbers to use)?

MacBookPro Intel Core i7-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 7:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 6:41 PM

Update: a simple trick seems to have fixed the IP issue:

extended the DHCP lease from the standard 3600 (1 Hr) to 86400 (24Hrs) on the modem - problem solved!

5 replies

Nov 27, 2012 6:34 AM in response to J and F__

The lease time is a good trick.

Other approaches. Many routers (not all) have the ability to associate an IP address to a devices MAC address (Media Access Control Address - this is the nn.nn.nn.nn.nn.nn address associated with the WiFi or Ethernet adaptor). This is part of the router's DHCP configuration.

You can give your Macs a fixed IP address via System Preferences -> Network -> WiFi -> Advanced -> TCP/IP. The address you would pick would be based on the DHCP assigned address you currently have. eg 192.168.1.n, or 10.0.1.n, etc... You would check your Router to see what the max DHCP assigned address is (or just set it to a new max address), then start assigning fixed IP address above the DHCP range. For example if the DHCP range is 192.168.1.1 to 200, you would start setting your Macs to 192.168.1.201, 202, 203, etc.. There are similar network setups for iPads, iPhones, etc...

HOWEVER, when assigning a fixed IP address to a laptop, this makes it difficult for the laptop to leave the building, as the rest of the world is still using DHCP and you cannot just walk into their building an expect your fixed IP address to work. Macs have the ability to have separate locations that you can configure and manually change, but it is a pain. System Preferences -> Network -> WiFi -> Location

Jun 7, 2013 6:29 AM in response to BobHarris

I know this is an old thread but this response is the closest to the information I am looking for.

My iPad drops the wifi connection when the ip renewal lease expires. I have found online that the fix is to assign a statuc ip address to the iPad based on its MAC address. How do I do this?

I know how to get the iPad to connect using a static ip using this screen

User uploaded file

And I know how to choose an ip address outside my router's dhcp range. But how do I find out what the other values should be for the above page?

Apr 25, 2014 9:55 AM in response to BobHarris

Bob,

I'm going to try to revive this old thread. I've read dozens of other posts regarding creating static IP addresses and I'm still confused.

Here's my situation... I am using an IP remote control called Roomie to control all of the devices in my home theater system as well as a couple Sonos speakers, the iTunes account on my iMac, lights, AC, etc.

The trouble I'm having is that the IP addresses for things like my TV, surround sound receiver, blu-ray player, etc, keep changing, and the remote control software loses its ability to control that device until it figures out the new IP address.

My ISP is Comast. My modem is a Motorola Surfboard. My router is a latest gen Airport Extreme. The router feeds an ethernet switch which further feeds a Netgear Powerline 500 transmitter. A Powerline 500 receiver is located near my home theater and it feeds a second ethernet switch which connects all of my devices to the network.

Everything shows up fine on the network and I have complete control over everything... until IP's change.

The home theater consists of a Samsung UN60F8000 Smart TV, Yamaha IP controllable receiver (RX-A1010), Oppo 103D blue-ray player and a 2nd generation Apple TV. Elsewhere in the house I have a Sonos Play 1 and a Sonos Play 3. I would like to assign static IP addresses to:

Television

Receiver

Blu-ray player

Apple TV

Sonos Play 1

Sonos Play 3

Can you (or anyone else) provide a step-by-step? Networking is not my forte and my command of Airport Utility is limited.

Thanks in advance,

John

How to set up static IP addresses in network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.