Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can airport extreme work with USB 3.0 HDD

I have tried to connect a USB 3.0 external HD to Airport Extreme. I could'nt see the HD appear in the Airport tool. Then I connected a USB 2.0 at the same way and then I could see the HD appeat in the Airport tool. I can understand by some discussions that Airport extreme does'nt support USB 3.0. Do anybody know if there will be a firmware upgrade in near future that solves this problem?

AirPort Extreme-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 3:27 AM

6 replies

Nov 21, 2012 5:32 AM in response to MilestoneCPH

A USB 3.0 hard drive is supposed to work when it is connected to a USB 2.0 port. That is part of the 3.0 specifications.

Make sure that the hard drive is formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled). You may also need to use a powered USB hub with the hard drive.....even if it ihas its own power supply.

I doubt that a firmware update will provide 3.0 functionality on the AirPort Extreme. It will likely require hardware changes as well.

Dec 1, 2015 1:58 PM in response to MilestoneCPH

I have the same problem too. I've bought an airport extreme last week and I exchanged it (after contact the Apple support) now but the problem is still the same. An USB 3.0 hard disk drive is not supported! Connecting the USB 3.0 hard disk drive with a USB (2.0) hub doesn't change anything.

If the Airport Extreme is connected with a USB 3.0 drive, the airport program is not able to recognize the device (by the way, the WiFi is running an the LED light is green). If I connect the Airport with any other USB 2.0 hdd everything works in right order.

Is is very poor that Apple is not able to solve this ridiculous bug! So I will restore this unhip old fashioned device.

Dec 1, 2015 3:48 PM in response to AlexGer

I have used USB3 disks with any model of the AE or TC.. the trick is using the correct USB chip.. not all chips are supported.. and there is no simple list available.. I tried to start a database but few have contributed to it.

USB drive compatibility with Airport Routers. Help make database.

My Touro is one of the best (IMHO) and LaCie will generally work fine.

Here is screenshot so you can see it working.

2tbtosh is the hard disk I have installed.

The actual Touro model is HGST Touro DeskPro and is USB3.

User uploaded file

I bought a stack of Touro shells from OWC for about $2 each.. they were buying them and selling off the excellent Hitachi 4TB drives.

There is no formula for what works but I believe there are more issues with USB 3 due to the very limited amount of Flash available in the TC and how few USB chips are supported .. remember this is an OS in its own right and has to fit in 16MB or so.

Dec 2, 2015 3:41 PM in response to LaPastenague

My (problem) USB 3.0 drive is a TrekStore 3 GB HDD. And it doesn't work.

Finally I believe that it might be an electric problem too (and not "only" a software bug). Is it possible that USB 3.0 ha a higher electricpowerconsumption than USB 2.?. In the case could it be a thermal or capacity prob of one of the protective diodes?

And if a USB 3.0 device is just below a threshold value (whatever this value might be) it works.

I made the following experimental setup:

Connecting the USB 3.0 HDD with Airport and cooling down the HDD. It works! (less power consumption)

After 5 minutes the HDD becomes warmer. The power consumption increases. Airport cuts of the HDD.

Dec 2, 2015 11:25 PM in response to AlexGer

I made the following experimental setup:

Connecting the USB 3.0 HDD with Airport and cooling down the HDD. It works! (less power consumption)

After 5 minutes the HDD becomes warmer. The power consumption increases. Airport cuts of the HDD.

True USB 3 provide more power than USB2.. but a USB3 drive which I am guessing is 3TB not 3GB.. should be powered.. is it?

Any 3.5" drive cannot draw enough power from USB.. only 2.5" have a hope of connecting.

But the data connection should draw hardly any power at all.

Using a powered hub can help in some cases. It is worth a try though.

I really doubt it is drawing more power through USB.. just the power supply and really the difference should be very marginal.

BTW as a tool get hold of a wattmeter that measures consumption of domestic appliances.. It is huge help to get real numbers with these things.

How can airport extreme work with USB 3.0 HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.