Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the user image file located?

So, I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find a sollution that works in Mountain Lion.

I'd like to be able to locate the image file which I'm using for my user account icon. It also appears in iMessage and Contacts, but I can't drag it to the the desktop. Because I don't know the file name, I can't search for it.

Does anyone know where it is stored? Or how I can extract it?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 4:48 AM

4 replies

Nov 22, 2012 2:13 PM in response to midn

Hi,

Previously in iChat the "Recent Pics" were stored and shown in the Drop down in the Buddy list.

The place was ~/Library/Images

In Mountain Lion it appears that the Drop Down shows "Recent Pics" but is pulling them from several sources.

The Messages Drop down

User uploaded file

The Recent Picture Folder has these:-

User uploaded file

Some Match and some don't.

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.AddressBook holds the Zebra and copies of my Sig and thre Union Flag.

At present I cannot find the ones the System Preferences > User and Groups > your account has as Pic are stored.

Some of the pics are the Apple Default ones. (Hardrive Name/Library/User Pictures)

You can also take a Snap Shot on Macs with cameras and I guess it is this that you are after ?

User uploaded file
10:13 PM Thursday; November 22, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Nov 22, 2012 2:24 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

HI,

I have one User pic from the Snap shot method and it is in Hard Drive (name)/Library/Caches as com.apple.user501pictureCache.tiff

The 501 refers to the number given to the first Mac User Account created which is obviously the Admin account.

Your Pic may have a different User ID number

User uploaded file
10:24 PM Thursday; November 22, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Where is the user image file located?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.