Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod touch fifth generation bluetooth gps unit

Dear All,

I'm interested in getting a real gps unit that will work reliably on my iPod Touch fifth generation. I do not have an iPhone or a smartphone and have found that my iPod Touch cannot locate wireless towers reliably in locations out of the city.

I have read about the GlobalSat BT-368i Bluetooth GPS Receiver, about $50, http://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BT-368i-Bluetooth-GPS-Receiver/dp/B0018YZ836 available for iPod Touch which is supposed to work on the Bluetooth connection...or the even less expensive GlobalSat BU-353 USB GPS Navigation Receiver, about $25 http://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-353-USB-Navigation-Receiver/dp/B000PKX2KA/ref =pd_sim_e_3

I am not familiar with Bluetooth except what I have read about it in Wikipedia. Will the gps unit work reliably with my new iPod Touch and how exactly does it work? Does it connect via the lightening connector to usb cable provided with the iPod? I have a gps app on the iPod touch now that writes coordinates into photos when wireless towers are available for triangulation, but it isn't very accurate. If I purchase the GlobalSat, which coordinates will the iPod choose to write into the picture -- in other words, will it choose GlobalSat coordinates or the coordinates from the free compass/gps app that I have installed?

Could you explain how the bluetooth gps will work and if you think either of these units would be a reliable alternative for my iPod Touch? Does it work with Google maps? Do you have to download separate applications?

The main reason that I want the gps in this instance is to write coordinates into my photos. My $1800 pro camera does not have a gps unit built in and I would like to take an additional photo with my iPod and embed the coordinates in that photo for reference.

Thanks...By the way, I love my iPod Touch Fifth Generation! Barbara

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:38 AM

3 replies

Nov 21, 2012 9:05 AM in response to Barbara Smits

Bleutooth (BT) is like low power wifi. To use a BT receiver with the iPod y will have to find a app that is compatible with the iPod and the receiver. I do not know if there is one. Users have reported problems with using receivers with iOS 6. See:

after updating to iOS 6 gps signals are...: Apple Support Communities

TS1702 magellan External gps not...: Apple Support Communities

iPod touch fifth generation bluetooth gps unit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.