Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BUG: can't download multiple iBooks from same Author, workaround found

Hello,

Symptom:

We created ~12 iBooks (files) but the iBooks app in iOS wouldn't accept more than one iBook. You could download the files via various channels (Google Drive, Safari, etc.) and try to "Open In... iBooks" but only the first iBook you installed would open (and later be visible). You cannot also download a newer version (same name) of the first iBook. If you delete the first iBook, you can again download/install/open just file. This is a bug.

Root Problem?

We created later iBooks by changing the content of the previous one and then saving it. We believe there is unique 'project' metadata within each new iBook project you create (from which iBook files comes). This is not visible or configurable within iBooks Author. We think the iBooks app sees that project metadata, thinks its the same book , and then opens that first iBook. The file you downloaded is on the device but the iBook database can't accept it not the bookshelf present it. Its likely orphaned within the device.

Workaround

Until Apple fixes the bug, the workaround is to always create a 'new' iBooks project in iBook Author for each iBook you wish to publish. If you need to re-use content, copy-paste it from the old project into the new one.

Solution

Perhaps iBooks (app) could sense the name, author, and version number when iBooks Author saves the .ibook file and treat that combination (maybe as a hash) as the unique version value.

iBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), iPad iPhone iPod iBook_Author

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 1:55 AM

Hi KayNeine

Thanks for your post with this workaround. This certainly seems to tally with my experience and the hidden metadata theory does seem to answer why it is happening. Just need Apple to acknowledge and address the problem.

As this Support Community obviously isn't moderated by Apple can I suggest as many people as possible use the iBooks Author Feedback Form to report their issues. Hopefully then, someone at Apple might take note and try and rectify these problems.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ibooks-author.html

This is available from the iBooks Author App in the menu: iBooks Author > Provide iBooks Author Feedback.

Regards

John

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2012 1:55 AM in response to KayNeine

Hi KayNeine

Thanks for your post with this workaround. This certainly seems to tally with my experience and the hidden metadata theory does seem to answer why it is happening. Just need Apple to acknowledge and address the problem.

As this Support Community obviously isn't moderated by Apple can I suggest as many people as possible use the iBooks Author Feedback Form to report their issues. Hopefully then, someone at Apple might take note and try and rectify these problems.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ibooks-author.html

This is available from the iBooks Author App in the menu: iBooks Author > Provide iBooks Author Feedback.

Regards

John

Apr 25, 2016 7:45 AM in response to infoessels

I know this is quite an old feed

But i am having this exact issue with 4 iBooks Author books that i have created

I did start the first book and like the layout , so just copied and pasted 3 more times

But not sure I understand the workaround for each of the suggested solutions

Do i need to completely delete the books and restart

Or do i just need to make 1 master template and then individually copy and paste the content of each page

into the new iBook

BUG: can't download multiple iBooks from same Author, workaround found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.