Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just bought 4 more gb of memory and it is all ready used up

I just bought 4 more gb of memory and it is all ready used up, so now I have 8 GB and it is used!!!!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 10:54 AM

18 replies

Nov 21, 2012 11:48 AM in response to karenfromcarthage

Karen,

When you are replying to a post, please click Reply in the post otherwise we don't have a clue who your communication is directed to. All your replys are to yourself so it's tough to follow your train of thought. Please carefully read the link, your screen shot is too small to read but something is using a lot of RAM. I'd suggest looking in the column called Real Mem to see what's taking up so much space. If you are the habit of running lots of apps simultaneously or have many many tabs open in your browser those are all RAM hogs.

Nov 21, 2012 12:52 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Am I posting in the correct area?

I do not have a lot of apps running, but Safari was running in addition to Firefox. I closed Safari and immediately gained 4.6 GB back. I can not use Safari because it uses all of my memory, and that little spinnig beachball, freezing up. I just purchased 8 GB from Apple to replace my 4 GB, and thought it would solve the problem. If I use Safari, it uses all of my memory right away. I have, Finder open, Activity Monitor, HP Printer and Firefox open.

Nov 21, 2012 12:57 PM in response to karenfromcarthage

Yes you are in the correct area, Safari is a RAM hog but I'm guessing you have either a lot of tabs open or a lot of Extensions that also may be out of date. 4GB is too much so it sounds like you have a Safari issue to solve. One thing to do with Safari is reset it. You do that by Safari - Reset Safari.... and check all the boxes and then retest.

I just bought 4 more gb of memory and it is all ready used up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.