Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There's a purple spot (not the purple haze) on the camera no matter where I point it. It doesn't look like something on the lens. Could it be something else?

Below are two images taken back-to-back of different surfaces. The bottom is the ceiling of the room I'm in, and the top is of my trackpad of my MacBook. Hardware iPhone 5 32GB.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 2:54 PM

5 replies

Apr 13, 2013 7:14 PM in response to aerosweetie

I figured out what causes it. Since the iPhone 5 has a saphire as part of it's "super awesome image quality capturing and other phones can suck it because we're the best" lenses, if you simply drop the phone from about waist height on to a hard floor (in my case, soft oak hardwood), it chips the dang saphire inside causing little flecks to come to rest on the sensor.

I find it IMPOSSIBLE to believe Apple didn't do basic drop tests on these devices to find this very basic flaw in their design.

Jan 20, 2014 11:26 AM in response to taglea2

I have had the same issue. I have called Apple Care a bunch of times to report the same issue. Even though, I can prove without a shadow of a doubt that the problem occured while my phone was still under the warranty, Apple will NOT honor THEIR manufacturing defect. I am now stuck with a substandard camera (purple splotch on every single picture) unless I choose to spend 260+ dollars to replace the phone. What kind of service is this Apple? Why don't you fix your camera issues? If this issue is so rare, why isn't it recognized as a malfunction? The phone should be replaced at NO QUESTIONS ASKED due to Apple's manufacturing defect. I am so angry that Apple is not standing by their product.

There's a purple spot (not the purple haze) on the camera no matter where I point it. It doesn't look like something on the lens. Could it be something else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.