Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 will not sync music since upgrading to iOS 6

Recently upgraded by iPhone 4 to iOS 6, and now the music and apps will not sync.

I am running the newest version of iTunes on a macbook.

I have tried soft resets and hard resets

I have tried re-installing iOS 6

I have tried (and failed) downgrading back to iOS 5.1.1

At first when i pressed play, the music player would continually skip past every song as though they werent there.

HELP?!

iPhone 4, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 3:29 PM

16 replies

Nov 21, 2012 3:38 PM in response to jclaytonf

When you upgraded, did you restore from a backup? Try and resync the phone with iTunes and see if that recovers your music. When you upgrade and restore from a backup, the apps, music and other content from iTunes is supposed to sync after the restore. Sometimes that doesn't happen, but another sync will usually fix it.

Downgrading of software is not supported by Apple, so it is no wonder it woudn't work. iOS 6.x requires iTunes 10.7 and Mac OS X 10.6.8 or higher.

Nov 21, 2012 7:29 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

The 'other' file was reading that before I did the back up, the very first time I plugged my phone into my computer after upgrading. After seeing that, I emptied the iphone of all music/photos/apps and then tried to reload them, which is when the music-sync issue made itself known. Then I tried reinstalling the software and restoring from backup, but no luck.

I tried restoring as new tonight but, again, no luck. I dont think the attempted downgrading would be an issue because it never started. I downloaded the software, pressed restore, and before anything happened iTunes said my device is not eligible. Is that normal? How come Apple wont let me go back to iOS 5.0.1? I'm still using their product?

If I restored from a back up from before i upgraded to iOS 6, would my phone revert back to iOS5?

Also, i'm not sure if this means something but, when i restored from backup, the photos all came back. but none of the apps or music. im so lost...

Nov 21, 2012 7:35 PM in response to jclaytonf

Wow, you did a lot. An attempt to downgrade the software is not supported by Apple and could be the root of all of your problem. Even though it may not have completed, you may have corrupted the software. When you tried the last restore, was it the one you tried to downgrade?

Restoring from a backup will not restore the iOS, that is handled differently . You would only be restoring the items that are in the backup, and that does not include iTunes content (apps, music).

Try this support document and you may have to try this more than once http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808. In all actualities, trying to downgrade the software could really have messed it up.

Do not try and use a backup. Restore as new.

Nov 21, 2012 8:40 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Yea i've been at this for a couple days... the last restore I did was a restore as new. still no luck. everything about the phone is working as it should except i cannot put any music on it. this is really frustrating. I hope that trying to downgrade didn't mess it up.... but the problem started before i attempted to downgrade. Going back to iOS 5 was an attempt (a useless attempt) to fix the problem haha.

btw thanks for all the help and ideas. Im going to try to restore as per the page you suggested now..

Nov 22, 2012 7:04 AM in response to jclaytonf

A couple of last things come to mind as I think this through. I know the screen shots I'm going to provide are in Windows, but it should be quite similar. On the Summary screen under options, there is a box for sync only checked music, not sure if you have that checked.

User uploaded file

And then on the Music tab, how you have music checked.

User uploaded file

I cannot think of anything else after that.

iPhone 4 will not sync music since upgrading to iOS 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.