Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset the whole iCloud?

My iPhone claims I only have 666mb left of my free 5gb yet I only have roughly 50mb of data. Photostream is off and has been reset so is empty and backups have been disabled.

Does anyone know of a way to errase ALL of the iCloud data, reset it to factory default so to say.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:02 PM

5 replies

Nov 21, 2012 7:38 PM in response to Gerard Van Schip

If you deleted all the data in your iCloud account it would also be deleted from the devices you are syncing with your account. For example, if you deleted your contacts, calendars and email, it would be deleted from your devices as well. This article explains how to reduce your iCloud storage: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4847. You may want to delete some of your old email, especially if they include large attachments. You may also want to delete any existing iCloud backups and start backing up to your computer using iTunes.

Nov 21, 2012 8:00 PM in response to randers4

Delete what data? Maybe a screenshot helps. You see 45.8mb for Keynote, 4.1mb for Pages, 2.6mb for iPhoto and 5.1mb for mail, ignoring TexEdit and Live Street View as that is nothing.

As said, backup is disabled and there are no backups, Photostream is disabled and has been reset via the iCloud.com website. iPad, iPhone and other iPhone are reporting the exact same figures so I'm rulling out a fault device.

Without being able to view whats inside my iCloud apart from the Apple apps I thought resetting it would resolve it.

User uploaded file

Nov 21, 2012 8:14 PM in response to Gerard Van Schip

The other data in your account includes any backups (seen on your phone in Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup>Manage Storage, under Backups); as well as the other data you are syncing with your account such as mail, contacts, calendars, notes, reminders and iWork documents, all of which you can see in the apps on your phone as well as by going to icloud.com on your computer. Based on how large your usage is, I suspect you still have backups stored in your iCloud account.

As mentioned, you can go to icloud.com and start deleting your data (such as deleting your contact by selecting a contact, pressing Control-A to select all contacts, then tapping your Delete key) but when you do this, they will also be deleted from your phone and any other device syncing with your account. I assume you don't want to end up losing your contacts, calendars and other data.

If you really want to start over, you could always go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account, choose to keep the data on your phone when prompted, then set up a new iCloud account with a different Apple ID, turn your data syncing back to On, and when prompted choose Merge. Note: you can only create a maximum of 3 iCloud accounts on each of your devices.

Nov 21, 2012 10:37 PM in response to randers4

Backup is disabled, I have re-enabled it to check if there were any old lingering backups but nothing there. I never had backup enabled for my iPad or other iPhone.

So no Photostream, no backups I can see and no documents.

I hope Apple will give us some way to see the contents of our 5GB iCloud storage at some point in the future, or a way to flush all of its contents.

As for delting this account, I have bought 933 apps with that account plus countless songs, books and movies. They are tied to this Apple ID, as are all my machines I have bought over the years and my email address.

Nov 22, 2012 7:34 AM in response to Gerard Van Schip

You can maintain the ID you use for purchases and still have a different ID/account for iCloud. You are not required to use the same ID for all services. But there does seem to be a discrepancy between the data stored in your account and reported storage if you have not backups, and your mail and documents are as small as shown in your screenshot. You would have to contact iCloud support to see if they can straighten this out, or make an appointment with the genius bar at a nearby Apple store and have them take a look at it and contact support for you if necessary.

Reset the whole iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.