Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login keychain locks itself despite settings saying otherwise?

Since a few days, every so often an app (any app, from Mail to Arq backup) will come up and ask for the login chain password to access basic recurring keychain items like email account passwords.

Usually, keychain issues are resolved with any of these proven recipes: "keychain first aid", "delete and recreate keychain", "make sure login and keychain password are the same", etc — I've tried all those. But, I've been able to isolate some unexpected behavior in Keychain Access: the login keychain gets locked despite settings saying it shouldn't.

Here, you see it locked (it was unlocked half an hour ago):

User uploaded file

Yet here are the lock settings:

User uploaded file

This is driving me nuts. Any ideas specifically as to why the keychain would be locked?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 1:39 AM

2 replies

Login keychain locks itself despite settings saying otherwise?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.