Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

import photo

used aperture 3.

why can't i import photo from iphoto??? as u can see the menu iphoto library is cant higlighted. any suggestion?

User uploaded file

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 3:00 AM

17 replies

Nov 22, 2012 11:41 PM in response to Rumi ableh

Probably. The format of iPhoto Libraries changed considerably since the release of Aperture 3.0.

Just a caution - If you decide to upgrade - the integration between Aperture and iPhoto is much better in Aperture 3.3 and later, make sure you have a working backup of your current Aperture library and of your current Aperture application. And then repair and rebuild your Aperture library before upgrading.

The upgrade to Aperture 3.3 and later is a major upgrade that will have to upgrade your Aperture library as well, and if you have inconsistencies in your Aperture library the upgrade may fail.

But the upgrade is really worth it, if you are using both Aperture and iPhoto.

Nov 23, 2012 7:22 AM in response to Rumi ableh

In Aperture you have more advanced image adjustments, more control over the raw processing, more smart searches and organisation options for your Aperture library. It is easier to create and maintain really large Photo libraries with referenced images - you can relocate your original image files to external disks. You can import and export partial libraries and merge libraries.

iPhoto on the other hand is simpler to use (because you do not have so many option 🙂); also you have more print products in iPhoto; Aperture has no option to create cards and calendars.

Dec 16, 2012 2:02 AM in response to Rumi ableh

😕

im not sure ,,,i borrow the camera ... but the format is jpeg and file size is vary betweem 50mb -100mb...

The camera is set to jpeg and produces 50mb -100mb file sizes? That is unlikely. I'd expect 10-15 MB images with jpegs about 3111 x 3253. Probably the camera is set to "raw".

Some quick calculations: If your Sony DSC W810 (16.1 Megapixel) is set to shoot tiff - 8 bit, an uncompressed tif will result in 48,8 MB, set to 16 bit tiff, you will get 96,6 MB. You could reduce the required filesize slightly ( roughly a third) by converting them to compressed tiffs.

A higher compression rate will only be possible by switching to jpeg. But the jpeg compression is not lossless. If you use jpeg compression with "quality" set to values less than "10" you may notice some loss of sharpness.

To convert your Aperture images to another format export them (picking a suitable preset) and reimport them.

Regards

Léonie

Dec 20, 2012 7:27 AM in response to léonie

greatt thanks ,,,

i've already organize my photo

ah buddy ,, yesterday i do some editing , adjusment, saturation etc with a full screen view ( Aperture is awesome just like u said 🙂)

and when the suddenly the usage of my ram isss boooommmm,,, it;s about 1,5 gig- 2gig just for this aperture,,, im using 8gig ram and this aperture left me just 1g free memory T_T

is editing in aperture consume soo much ram??

what do u think

import photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.