Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best ipod touch texting solution for kids?

My son is in middle school. He uses his itouch for texting via imessage, but he can only text to other Apple-device users/friends. Does anyone know of a way for me to get him a phone number associated with his imessage account so he can text to people outside of the Apple ecosystem (believe it or not their are many)? I know there are some app solutions like textplus and textfree that assign phone numbers, but I believe you have to use their apps. I'm happy to here about anyone's experience regardless of the solution.

iPod touch

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 8:11 AM

In case anyone looks at this, we ended up using TextFree. We got a number for it. We pay nothing. It's worked great for this situaiton.

7 replies

Nov 22, 2012 10:37 AM in response to Jeff Nitschke

We only need texting. I think textplus provides the number too now. Not sure though. With textfree I've seen lots of complaints about the advertisements. I'd pay to stop them (as they offer) I suppose. I wish you didn't have to pay an annual charge to stop them suppose, but they need to make money somehow.

Do you know if textfree will let you keep your number for as long as you use the service? If they change the number it wouldn't be of much use for ongoing texting.

Thanks for the responses!

Nov 22, 2012 10:47 AM in response to TotoroO

It is my understanding as long as you use the # it will not change. But, if it sits idle for too long they will give the # to someone else.

The advertisement are what they are. Only way around them is to go with the paid versions.

I played with pinger a bit the other day I was surprised that the phone calls worked pretty good but, you can only place calls where you have access to WIFI so, it is pretty limiting.

Best ipod touch texting solution for kids?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.