Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts not in groups on my Mac but are in iCloud.com

I have a problem reconciling contacts on iCloud.com with contacts on my Mac.

I spent some time cleaning up duplicate contacts on iCloud.com and moving them back into groups (in many cases one duplicate contact was in a group while the other was not so I suspect this is a problem in how iCloud.com manages groups.)

After I removed the duplicates in iCloud.com, I selected the records in particular and moved them into groups on iCloud. However, when I look at the same groups on my Mac, there are fewer contacts in each of those groups. The groups appear to have the correct number of contacts on my iPhone. So the problem appears to be with Contacts on my Mac.

Is there any way to force synchronization of iClould.com and Contacts on my Mac?

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 9:42 AM

First, open Contacts.

File > Export > Contacts Archive.

(This backs up your contacts on you Mac, just in case)

Now System prefs > iCloud.

Turn off Contacts and select Delete from Mac.

Then turn Contacts back on.

5 replies

Nov 22, 2012 10:07 AM in response to Chris CA

Chris,

Thanks very much for the suggestion.

I the meantime what I did was export all of my contacts from iCloud and import them into my Mac. I then removed all duplicates to clean things up.

Now I want to go the opposite way. Do you have any suggestions about how to do this safely and much more importantly HOW DO I AVOID THIS IN THE FUTURE? (sorry for shouting but I am really concerned that this may happen again.

Contacts not in groups on my Mac but are in iCloud.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.