Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

out of memory

I went to the mac store and the "genius" outright lied to me. He blamed the "out of memory" render problem on fcp and not the laptop itself.

Tell me if I"m wrong on this...

I can take the hard drive that I'm rendering from and render without a problem on my desktop and old laptop no problem...but my new piece of sh*t laptop (which has been a problem from day one) will not render the sequence.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02

SMC Version (system): 2.3f32

Hardware UUID: B043CF8D-63BF-50CD-A4FC-F38E508949FF

I get an out of memory on every last type of render there is...I have always been a mac user since day one, but this laptop is crap at best

LION operating system

MAIL-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8), think it was snow leopard op system

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 10:31 AM

8 replies

Nov 22, 2012 7:45 PM in response to Tom Jordan1

I can't remember seeing out of memory errors caused by a hardware problem (doesn't mean it's not possible).

And unfortunately, Mac geniuses are often not geniuses, (but that doesn't mean they're always wrong).

I understand your frustration, but let's try an eliminate other possibilities.

out of memory errors when rendering are usually caused by using cmyk or grayscale graphics or a non fcp friendly format like h264 or mp4. And the problems can be intermittent so although you may see the problems on one machine, they may not turn up immediately on another system.

What are your sources and what are your sequence settings?

If you want to send me an xml export of your sequence, I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what the problem is.

Dec 26, 2014 3:32 AM in response to Tom Jordan1

One thing nobody addressed is the number of still images in your sequences. Remember the FCP is basically a big database that accepts instructions. And a still image is only a virtual clip. When you apply motion, color correction, dissolves etc you are adding to the amount of stuff FCP has to keep in active RAM-- along with every other clip and sequence in your project. AND fcp is only a 32 bit application. It can be possible to so load up the ram that there's no room to render.

Jan 15, 2015 5:26 PM in response to Tom Jordan1

The "Out of Memory" notification actually has to do with RAM (Random Access Memory).Final Cut Pro 7 is a 32 bit software, and the drawback to 32 bit software is the maximum amount of RAM they can use is 4GB. FCPX is 64 bit, which means is can use much much more RAM than FCP 7. So, for FCP 7, it doesn't matter how much RAM you have (4GB, 8GB, 16GB) installed, it can and will only use 4GB. And when all 4GB of it is used, you will get the "Out of Memory" notification.

out of memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.