Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't move files or folders or delete files without authentication. Also, it doesn't appear that I can change permissions?

I can't seem to move or delete files or folders on my MacBook Air mountain lion system. It doesn't appear that changing permissions works either? Any ideas?

MacBook Air (13-INCH, MID 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 12:26 PM

Maybe this thread can help:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3319042?answerId=16136174022#16136174022

4 replies

Nov 22, 2012 1:05 PM in response to Jed3883

Back up all data now.

This procedure will unlock all your user files (not system files) and reset their ownership and access-control lists to the default. If you've set special values for those attributes on any of your files, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it.

Step 1

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Drag or copy — do not type — the following line into the Terminal window, then press return:

sudo chflags -R nouchg,nouappnd ~ $TMPDIR.. ; sudo chown -R $UID:20 ~ $_ ; chmod -R -N ~ $_ 2> /dev/null

Be sure to select the whole line by triple-clicking anywhere in it. You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up. You don't need to post the warning. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command.

The command will take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2

Boot into Recovery by holding down the key combination command-R at startup. Release the keys when you see a gray screen with a spinning dial.

When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select Utilities Terminal from the menu bar. A text window opens.

In the Terminal window, type this:

resetpassword

That's one word with no spaces. Then press return. A Reset Password window opens. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your boot volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select  Restart from the menu bar.

I can't move files or folders or delete files without authentication. Also, it doesn't appear that I can change permissions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.