Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when syncing ipod, receiving blue screen error WDF_Violation

When syncing ipod, receiving blue screen error WDF_Violation

iPod nano (6th generation), iOS 6

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 1:06 PM

5 replies

Jan 6, 2013 8:47 PM in response to Cravon

I am having a similar problem. I have an iPod Classic 80Gb with a brand new computer using iTunes11 on Windows 8.

iTunes sees the iPod on the Sidebar, but when I try to sync or change any settings, roughly half the time it will crash my windows and cite a WDF Violation error. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Regardless, even if it doesn't crash, it won't sync. It gets as far as "Starting Sync" and then it just stops.

I have verified that the iPod still syncs fine on my old xp machine, and I have tried the following, all to no avail.

Enabling Disk use

Converting higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC

Deleting and reinstalling the iPod's drivers through device manger

Running iTunes in XP SP3 compatibility mode

Running iTunes as Administrator

At one point, with disk use enabled and 128 kbps bit rate selected, I managed to get it to prompt me to Erase and Sync. it went on to erase everything on the iPod, but would not load any of my media back up. Subsequent attempts to sync gave the same result.

I had a look at the link above, but it's a brand new computer and I installed and updated everything myself to the latest version, except my Wacom tablet, which was acting funny with the latest driver, but it can't be that because the original driver from the install CD I reverted too has workd fine in conjunction with iTunes and this same iPod for years on my other machine.

I am getting extremly frustrated with this. Someone please help make it better !?!

Jan 7, 2013 9:00 PM in response to Cravon

Victory!

As someone mentioned on another thread, I found the article here on Apple's support pages with instructions for completely removing iTunes, and after backing up, I did so and installed version 10 which can also be found on the search window at the top of the page here.

It is syncing.

Finally.

AND I have Cover flow back! Everything's coming up aces!

Jun 26, 2013 3:11 PM in response to Cravon

Yureka!!!! I found the solution!!! Even ended up educating the tech -- who didn't have a clue.

I have a brand new 7th gen iPod Nano, a brand new Windows 8 laptop, and iTunes 11. Everything was working all fine and dandy until I unchecked "Enable Disc Usage in iTunes on my iPod. Then all **** broke loose. I got the blue screen of death with the WDF_violation and I couldn't even plug my Nano in without it crashing my computer, let alone access iTunes to re-enable Disc Usage. Because the crashes happened immediately after I did that I just KNEW it had something to do with that. Trouble is, I couldn't fix it.... or so I thought.

I was on the phone with the tech, who was telling me it was a driver issue ( impossible because both the laptop and iPod are brand new) and I was looking around in iTunes while she did.

HERE IS YOUR SOLUTION: Edit --> Preferences --> Devices. Check Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically. Then plug in your iPod, re-enable the Disc Usage, and voile!!!!!! Problem solved.

when syncing ipod, receiving blue screen error WDF_Violation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.