Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

retina macbook pro with thunderbolt display causes speaker issues

I have a thunderbolt display and used the speakers fine on old macbook pro. I now plug in my new retina macbook pro 15" with mountain lion and the sound plays fine for a while then starts to crackle real bad and then stops all together. If I switch the the laptop speakers then switch back after 30 or so minutes the thunderbolt speakers will work again for a short amount of time then again crackle and stop.

This may be mountain lion related but I have tried another non-retina version macbook pro with mountain lion and did not notice the issue but it was only for an hour or so. So this leads me to belive its the computer.

Any suggestions? its really really anoying and wasting my time trying to fix it.

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 1:08 PM

2 replies

Nov 23, 2012 2:40 AM in response to brandonfromsaint charles

I don't think that it's ML related - may have something to do with your TB port - have you tried using both on your rMBP? With the same results?

I hate to say it, but you may have to bundle the whole kit up and take it to your local Apple Store or an AASP and see if it's a display or rMBP TB problem. I don't have a rMBP - just a regular old late 2011 15" - and the sound is quite good through the ATD speakers.

Clinton

Apr 15, 2013 12:42 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

I have the exact same issue. I hauled the TB Display into the Apple Store 3 times and finally they replaced it. Come to find out this new one has the same issue still. So It has to be rMBP related at this point. Unfortunately I don't think I have it under warranty still and the issue is hard to demonstrate. I recorded videos of it but every time I go into the store and plug it is the same as switching the speakers from internal to external and it takes 30-60 mins before it degrates to scratching sounds.

Please let me know if you ever foudn a solution. Im going to try to keep taking it in until I can get this resolved.

retina macbook pro with thunderbolt display causes speaker issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.