Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AE 5th Gen 2.4GHz Won't Connect

I have an Airport Extreme 5th Gen with 7.6.1 software. It's always seemed a bit temperamental to me so when devices could not join the 2.4GHz network today, I decided to do a hard reset and re-enter settings. Unfortunately, that didn't fix it: devices that formerly were able to connect on the 2.4GHz 802.11g are now unable to - I just get a 'connection error' message. The 5GHz 802.11n side continues to function. I need g for those devices that can't connect to n.

I have the Airport Extreme connected to a cable modem and it is creating the wireless network(s). Although there are a couple of Airport Expresses connected to the network, these are only used for AirPlay and I have turned them off for the purposes of testing. The networks are named differently and use automatic channels.

It occurs to me that the 2.4GHz problem could be due to interference, but I would appreciate a second opinion please.

Has anyone here encountered this kind of problem where the Extreme itself is faulty? I have AppleCare, so could take it for a check at an Apple Store.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 3:37 PM

6 replies

Nov 22, 2012 8:40 PM in response to Arkouda

Hi - you probably already know this so I am just speculating here - since the AU defaults to include g devices, it sounds like you might be having a security issue - the AU defaults to WPA2 Personal - are you able to match this with your g devices? - WPA/WPA2 Personal is more compatible if you can't do WPA2 Personal - see the following password equivalents if necessary - I always use simple 8 character passwords for compatibility.

User uploaded file

The AU also defaults to a WPA Timeout of 60 Minutes - this can be an issue with older devices and security types - some people set it to a higher number but this might make your network more vulnerable.

If the above does not apply then I would have the Extreme checked out.

Regards,

Charlie

Nov 23, 2012 1:50 AM in response to CRMDVM

Thanks for the suggestion but as I am already using WPA2 Personal then I don't think that that is the cause. Bear in mind also that there was no problem with these devices connecting previously - although,as I said, the Extreme always seemed kind of flaky.

Since I posted, I have also read another thread which talked about an issue where devices on g would disconnect when an n device joined the network. The ultimate diagnosis was a hardware issue.

-Bernard

Nov 23, 2012 8:17 AM in response to Blaktal

I called AppleCare and they arranged a hardware swap. The Apple Store Genius did not have the replacement in stock, so I have to wait a few days. He did suggest testing whether the g antenna has failed by switching the other (5GHz) over to 2.4GHz to see if that solves the problem.

I have not had time to try this yet, but it might help your diagnosis!

AE 5th Gen 2.4GHz Won't Connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.