Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB 3.0 locked as USB 2.0 ?

I understand that if I insert a USB 2.0 device into a USB 3.0 port on a mac the port will " lock" as 2.0 only.

Is it possible to revert this lock back to a 3.0 ?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 11:05 PM

18 replies

Nov 23, 2012 6:37 AM in response to Allan Eckert

But the OP has a point. From the KB article he linked to:

How do I get the best performance from the USB 3 ports?
The first device you plug in will configure the port, so always connect USB 3 capable hubs or devices first.

What happens if I plug in a USB 2 device into the USB 3 port first?
If you plug in a USB 2 hub first, all devices connected or "daisy-chained" to that hub will operate up to the maximum transfer rate of USB 2 speed (480 Mbps).

It does not directly say how to revert the port back to USB 2?

Nov 23, 2012 6:47 AM in response to Klaus1

Klaus, I think it's pretty clear - all that's needed to revert the port back to USB3 is to simply unplug all USB2 devices connected to it. Notice how the linked article says "If you plug in a USB2 hub FIRST...."

Just make sure that if you have a mix of USB3 and USB2 devices, connect the USB3 devices first and then the USB2 ones. Then the USB3 devices will run at USB3 speeds.

Nov 23, 2012 7:20 AM in response to KenVal

^ That link doesn't work. It says "Domain not active".

You have to spell it like this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1433387

It's macrumors, not macrumours.

As for the thread: The poster 'g4cube' says this: "Connect to a USB2 computer, you get USB2 performance. Connect to a USB3 computer, you get USB3 performance."

Doesn't say anything about a USB3 port having its USB3 ability being permanently destroyed or anything like that.

Nov 23, 2012 8:26 AM in response to KenVal

Read http://www.totalphase.com/support/kb/10047/

In this article it states that host detects the presents of low speed device on the bus by a pull-up resistor on D- line and high speed devices by a pull-up resistor on D+. So if the D- line is high during idle, the low speed is in effect.

It does NOT say anything about reboot only that the USB bus must go idle.

Allan

USB 3.0 locked as USB 2.0 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.