Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fonts installed correctly but cannot use them

Hi all,

I have some fonts that have been created with FontoGrapher 4.1 some years ago. Until now these fonts have been working fine with all versions of Windows.

Now I'm getting some problems with OS X:

- All fonts with regular letters work fine.

- Some of the fonts contain only symbols. Meaning, each character represents a symbol, e.g. an animal or something else.

The latter mentioned fonts show correctly in FontBook. There are no duplicates, no errors displayed by FontBook. But I can't use them in any program. For example, I tried to use them in TextEdit and this is what happens:

The list of fonts in the drop down box does not show one of them, but they appear in the font selection window. When I select one of them from the selection window the font of the selected characters is displayed as Lucida Grande. This behaviour is completely independent from how many of these fonts are installed. I tried with one, two and many. I cleared the font caches with "sudo atsutil databases -remove", rebooted OS X, deleted and reinstalled the fonts, and searched the web, but couldn't find any solution.

Please help! I'm really desperated because I need these fonts for my customers. I really depend on them.

Thank you all!

iPad, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 3:29 AM

7 replies

Nov 23, 2012 6:32 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you very much for your quick answer, Tom!

I tried MS Word 2011 and OpenOffice as well without success. In fact these fonts are needed for a project that runs with an application for MS Word that I currently migrate from Windows. I thought I'd try TextEdit when they failed in Word and OO because that's an Apple program.

Best regards

Thomas

Nov 23, 2012 11:15 AM in response to Thommy_

Thommy_ wrote:

BTW, do you know of another utility that just converts TrueType to OpenType?

Sorry, no. But of course there is no reason why TrueType fonts should not work -- OS X has lots of them -- and there is no guarantee that some other app which can converts them to OpenType will solve a particular problem. Luckily this particular app, Glyphs, worked in this case.s

Fonts installed correctly but cannot use them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.