Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine not working with Seagate External Drive

Hi there

I have just bought a Seagate Go Flex Home Drive (3TB) and I can't get Time Machine to work with it.

I get the following error message.

You do not have the necessary read, write and append privileges on the selected network backup disk.

Please connect as a different user or contact your network administrator.

Has any one seen this before, or know how to resolve it?

Cheers

Ray

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 5:40 AM

9 replies

Nov 23, 2012 12:18 PM in response to razerburton

Hi,

Well, The external drive you have problem with is from a third party vendor :-)

I just looked up your model and we need to start over.

How do you connect it to your computer?

Is it plugged in to the router via ethernet and you access it over WiFi.

The drive needs to be setup as per supplied instructions.

The manufacturer says it is Time Machine compatible but from my experience I know this is not switched on by default.

The main reason why you cannot access it is you basically have to set it up for your use and most likely authenticate to it.

At this stage I'm quite sure there is no much wrong with that drive. It just need setting up.

Let me know if you have any instructions from Seagate which you can follow.

Oct 5, 2015 11:33 PM in response to tzbikowski

If you've previously connected to said network drive before and are having trouble reconnecting, its possible, the folder where the time machine back-up lies is locked. I would try navigating to network folder, look for "TimeMachineBackup" and if you see a locked logo on the folder, simply right click -> get info, and uncheck the locked box, then try initiating the time machine to use the network drive again

Time Machine not working with Seagate External Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.