Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best wireless router ( Apple AirPort Extreme vs Belkin N Series)

Since I do not get seamless Internet connectivity throughout my house, I installed a wireless range extender, which I feel does not work perfectly (random connection and disconnection) and other hiccups.

Another issue with my old router is that it keeps disconnecting from the Apple TV (maybe it does not support the speed of data transfer).

I have been advised to get a better router (read more powerful) , but am confused what to get, since my prime objective is to have seamless connectivity throughout the house.

Someone suggested purchasing an Apple AirPort Extreme , considering most devices at home are Apple, barring one Windows PC, or purchasing a Belkin N Series.

The price difference between the above mentioned 2 routers is approximately 40%.

I wish to understand how an AirPort Extreme will be more beneficial vis-a-vis a Belkin.

Prime objective is long range to cover the entire house.

What other advantages will I have opting for an AirPort Extreme ?

Help appreciated.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 7:54 AM

I have been advised to get a better router (read more powerful) , but am confused what to get, since my prime objective is to have seamless connectivity throughout the house.

It might be helpful to remember that the broadcast power of wireless routers is limited by law, so devices from one manufacturer to another typically perform about the same in this regard.

There is no assurance that an AirPort Extreme might perform better than your current router. The only way to know is to try it out in your home.....so it might be a good idea to understand the store's return policy in advance on any router that you might consider.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2012 7:54 AM in response to Gautam H

It might be helpful to remember that the broadcast power of wireless routers is limited by law, so devices from one manufacturer to another typically perform about the same in this regard.

There is no assurance that an AirPort Extreme might perform better than your current router. The only way to know is to try it out in your home.....so it might be a good idea to understand the store's return policy in advance on any router that you might consider.

Nov 23, 2012 8:03 AM in response to Gautam H

do you think that range extenders are the best choice ?

They are the only choice. It is much better to connect a range extender to the main router using an Ethernet cable than trying to use wireless only, since so much of the signal is lost using wireless.

Is there any other advantage to using an Airport over a Belkin

I am not familiar with your Belkin model, so I cannot say. Check the Apple documentation for more details on the AirPort Extreme for additional features that your Belkin product might not have.

AirPort Extreme

Nov 23, 2012 8:40 PM in response to Gautam H

I do not like the clutter of wires and hence looking for a wireless solution to the issue.

Often, you must make a choice between performance (wired connections) and convenience (wireless) with networks.

I am sorry, but I doubt that another wireless extender will perform any better than the device you already have if you plan to use wireless only. Perhaps another user will post with a success story with a product that they have used.

Apple products would not be compatible for this purpose unless you already have another Apple router producing your wireless network.

Best wireless router ( Apple AirPort Extreme vs Belkin N Series)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.