Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 15" early 2011 with Lion pre-installed dropping frames all the time just using the interface (Mission Control, Dock, Safari scrolling)

I have a Macbook Pro 15" 2011 with Radeon 6490m graphics, fast hdd and 8Gb RAM. It came pre-installed with Lion but the interface was like dropping frames *all* the time, opening Mission Control, even by just moving the mouse pointer over the Dock. Safari scrolling text used to drop a lot of frames too. I observed the same behaviour with a clean install of Mountain Lion aswell, and even my old Powerbook G4 had a faster (less laggy, frame-dropping) interface !!!

I took it to repair in an Apple authorized center in a Apple-only store in Copenhagen, Denmark, the whole inside with the graphics card was replaced because Flash colors would blackout sometimes too.

None of this worked, I guess the fault is with the new graphics drivers/architecture coming with Lion!

I had to go the unsupported route and downgrade to Snow Leopard which involved a lot of hassle but now at least the interface is blazing fast again and I don't feel my 2200 Euro macbook pro is slower than 300€ laptop PCs anymore. And I get the bonus of Quicktime 7 features not ported over to Quicktime X.

Will one Apple engineer please create a ticket for this "defect" with their internal teams?

Thank you!!

If there is a better avenue to communicate this to Apple OS X engineers please let me know !

- Carlos

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5), Happens to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 too

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 7:12 AM

1 reply

Macbook Pro 15" early 2011 with Lion pre-installed dropping frames all the time just using the interface (Mission Control, Dock, Safari scrolling)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.