Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i know if I need 16gb or 32gb ipad. this is my first purchase

I am purchasing my first ipad. how do i know if I need a 16 or 32gb? I want it mostly for web surfing, checking e-mail and do a bit of work from home.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 7:55 AM

6 replies

Nov 23, 2012 8:05 AM in response to allison263

You'll probably be fine with a 16. I have a 16 and I have a couple of dozen apps, 3 movies, couple albums and hudnreds of documents and I have a gig or two free.

I have a 32 gig Touch and have tons of videos and music on it. So if you like to data hoard, go for the 32, but if it's just like you said, you just do e-mail and surf, etc you should be fine with the 16.

Nov 23, 2012 9:21 AM in response to allison263

Just for comparison I'm on the other end of the scale. I carry an iPad now instead of a laptop while traveling during the week for work. I load my iPad up with my entire music library, the unread audio books, photos and typically a couple of movies and I sync around 30 TV Shows from my iTunes media library at home.

I'm a big podcast fan using Downcast to download and stream audio ad well as HD video. My podcast library can get quite large depending on how much time I have to catch up on shows. Another reason I chose the bigger model is I instead on using it as a photo backup of the photos on my DSLRcamera's SD card while on vacation.

I could make do with a 32Gb iPad but I usually end up maintaining only 3-4Gbs free on my 64Gb model.

Nov 23, 2012 9:38 AM in response to allison263

This may help decide among the various capacities:

How much content will fit on my iPod or iPhone?

It applies to iPads as well.

In broad terms:

If you want hundreds of songs, dozens of apps, and a couple of movies: 16 GB

If you want thousands of songs, hundreds of apps, and several movies: 32 GB

If you have more money than time to think about this any more: 64 GB

how do i know if I need 16gb or 32gb ipad. this is my first purchase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.