Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help keeping .zip files

When I double-click on a zipped file, it unzips okay but something is deleting the .zip file. I recall a recent update to Apple's Archiver but I cannot find it to be able to check the Preferences. Somthing tells me this app or whatever is the problem child.

Where can I change the preference so it unzips but retains the zipped file.

iMac, MacBook Pro and iPad2-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 2:05 PM

10 replies

Nov 23, 2012 2:28 PM in response to drdocument

Is this always true? On my system .zip files remain after decompressing.

Some .zip files I've downloaded in the past automatically put the .zip file in the trash when opened. Now that I think about it a bit more, I believe that's only on updates that run and install themselves. Zip files otherwise do just stay in the Downloads folder. Sorry for the confusion. 😊

Nov 23, 2012 3:20 PM in response to aRKay

Again, where is the useless Archiver so I can change the preferences or remove it . I never had this problem with the Stuffit Exapnder. Moving the .zip to the Trash is an unacceptable solution.

My Stuffit Expander/Prefernce/Advanced shows ZIP being handled by Archive Utility

My Expander log say has not been used. The problem child is the Archve utiliy

Nov 23, 2012 3:43 PM in response to aRKay

you should be able to check/modify the settings for the built-in archive utility by 'installing' its prefpane

Use Finder-Go to Folder (Command-shift-G) & paste in the following

/System/Library/CoreServices/Archive Utility.app/Contents/Resources/

then double-click on the Archives.prefPane

or, just delete Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.archiveutility.plist

assuming it's the same-named file in 10.8 as on 10.6 here

Nov 23, 2012 3:51 PM in response to drdocument

>robably the easiest thing to do is to select a .zip archive, get info (Cmd-I), unlock if necessary, then under "Open with" select StuffIt Expander and click Change All. From then on, StuffIt Expander will be the default app to open all .zip archives.

Worked perfect. Thanks. The Apple OS X Finder Development Team did us no favor by forcing the unzipped file to trash without a user Preference file

Your tip is a good workaround until the design defect is corrected.

Nov 23, 2012 3:57 PM in response to aRKay

I was happy to see the instructions for enabling a preference pane for Archive Utility.

I am wondering if the default action of moving .zip file to the trash after decompressing is a carryover from some earlier preference setting. I have not had that experience with Archive Utility, and have not changed any un-zip prefs for a long time (several OS updates).

Perhaps the AU default was "inherited" or copied from my earlier StuffIt Expander prefs. Who knows?

At any rate, it's good to know how to enable setting prefs for AU.

Nov 23, 2012 4:16 PM in response to andyBall_uk

> ...or, just delete Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.archiveutility.plist

assuming it's the same-named file in 10.8 as on 10.6 here

BINGO! Andy Ball you are the man. I had a corrupt com.apple.archiveutility.plist file. I removed the file, restarted 10.8 .2 and now when I double-click a .zip file it opens and retains the .zip file rather than sending the .zip file to Trash.

Thanks again for good solution to a bad issue.

Help keeping .zip files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.