Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot sign in to FaceTime with my apple id. It says to check my internet connection. I am connected to the internet using an ethernet cable and not Wi-fi. Does that matter??? Someone please help me.

I cannot sign in to FaceTime with my apple id. It says to check my internet connection. I am connected to the internet using an ethernet cable and not Wi-fi. Does that matter??? Someone please help me.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 3:05 PM

10 replies

Nov 23, 2012 7:34 PM in response to reimikonda

Actually, an ethernet cable connection is more desirable and reliable than wifi, so that's not your problem. I remember, when I first signed into Facetime, there was a notice that the Facetime sign in password needs to be at least 8 characters long, have at least one numeral and one upper case letter. My Apple id password fit the bill, so I used it. This may not be what's causing your problem, but I think you should investigate this possibility.

Nov 30, 2012 8:33 PM in response to reimikonda

Only fool proof solution to this mess is to do a OS X reinstall to replace the system files without erasing user data...any other solution just does not work...

I reserved time with Genius bar and got the OS X reinstalled and now messages and facetime are up and running- I can login into facetime using my apple id and messages does not thrown the stupid internal error encountred message...

Dec 3, 2012 12:33 PM in response to akhileshmohan

Well, I re-installed my OS last night and re-installed Facetime, again. No success. Today I contacted Apple Care and paid for Single-Incident Support. Still no answer and now I'm at Tier 3. I captured and sent them my Log Files and hopefully they will get back to me with a solution.

This is a real puzzler! It all went haywire after the wife tried to contact me from her AirBook not realizing that it had both of us logged on as users. I think it created some sort of Paradox... you can't call someone else on the same machine... even though I was on my Mac Pro Desktop. Neither one of us could answer each others FaceTime calls after that.

Dec 11, 2012 11:15 AM in response to akhileshmohan

I've tried all of the suggestions in this thread and none solved the FaceTime problem. As a last resort, I reinstalled ML. That didn't work either. Given that this is a problem with more than one app it would seem the problem is with ML not the apps. It is probably related to the arcane way Apple uses the ID's and passwords. Imagine a world in which when you change a password (often forced to do so) you must go to all synced devices and change the password on them too.

Dec 11, 2012 11:17 AM in response to akhileshmohan

I've tried all of the suggestions in this thread and none solved the FaceTime problem. As a last resort, I reinstalled ML. That didn't work either. Given that this is a problem with more than one app it would seem the problem is with ML not the apps. It is probably related to the arcane way Apple uses the ID's and passwords. Imagine a world in which when you change a password (often forced to do so) you must go to all synced devices and change the password on them too.

Dec 11, 2012 11:18 AM in response to akhileshmohan

Dec 11, 2012 1:30 PM in response to Peter Mars

I called AppleCare yesterday to find out if my Logs had been analyzed and if they had an answer for my FaceTime issue. They did indeed have the answer. It was a "serialization problem". The original logic board in my Mac Pro 1,1 needed to be replaced, right after I purchased it, and the ASP didn't "serialize" the new board. The AppleCare rep told me to take it in to any Apple Store and they will serialize the board or replace it if necessary!!! And they refunded my $19.00 for Single-Incident support since it was due to an oversight by the original ASP! AWESOME!!!!!!!!

I shot over to my local Apple Store and within 5 minutes (FIVE MINUTES!) FaceTime was working!

Not sure if this will help anyone else, but paying $19.00 for AppleCare support is definitely the way to go, and you might even get it refunded!

This was a one week process, since my initial call to Apple, but they reviewed the logs and found the problem. The reps were all very professional and very knowledgeable. I can't say enough about this!! Very Happy!

🙂

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.