Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Images being arbitrarily pulled from cache?

Recently I've been having trouble with images and applications. Whenever I transfer an image through iChat, say soomething taken with Photo Booth, it arbitrarily selects a recently viewed image rather than the image that was specified for transfer; once this incorrect image has been sent, no matter what I look at afterword and what I try to send, it's always that same wrong picture.

Similarly, when using a conversion tool recently, rather than putting an error image up, it displayed a picture I had viewed online early that day but that I had not downloaded; it existed only in my browser's cache.

What on Earth is going on and what can be done to rectify the issue?

3.6GHz i5 iMac w/ 4GB of RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 6:13 PM

3 replies

Nov 26, 2012 2:08 PM in response to Agent_Zeppin

Hi,

How are you going about the Transfer ?

Are you dragging the specified pic to the Text Entry Line and pressing enter ?

Are you dropping it on a Buddy's name in the Buddy list ?

Are you using the Buddies Menu > Send File ?

User uploaded file
10:08 PM Monday; November 26, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Nov 27, 2012 11:54 AM in response to Agent_Zeppin

HI,

It does seem a bit strange that a pic that only exists on your computer in the Browser's cache is showing upon in another app.

I could see a case where all the photos stored in the PhotoBooth folder were in fact the same pic or even different pics have somehow ended up with the same icon.

I would start with launching Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities) and using the First Aid tab then Repairing Permissions.

Some say it is less effective than it used to be but I think it would make an effective starting place with this.

I would would follow that with a PRAM reset.

Shut down the computer.

Restart it holding down Apple/CMD ( or ⌘)+ALT( ⌥)+P+R Keys until you have heard three Start Up Bongs.

User uploaded file

If you have a second computer I would try logging in to this one and accessing the pictures and see if they open correctly on the second computer.

(Alternatively put this one in Target Disk Mode with another computer).

User uploaded file
7:51 PM Tuesday; November 27, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Images being arbitrarily pulled from cache?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.