Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I send a large .MOV file to a USB?

We had an event a few days ago, and made a movie with iMovie, when I finally finished making it and adding what i wanted and edited to my like I exported it. The file is currently 9.86GB. I have a 32GB USB thumbdrive but everytime I try to "drag and drop" it tells me the file is too large for the volumes format. Now, I'm confused. I also tried exporting it directly to my USB but that didn't work also. I've tried sending the movie through an ethernet cable I had, and I succeeded but the quality downgraded and the movie was converted to a 8.42GB movie. I want the full HD video I took and edited, and thats on my mac. By the way I'm trying to send this movie to my VAIO PC. So does anyone know how to copy .MOV files to a USB? It's a PNY 32GB USB thumbdrive.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 11:37 PM

6 replies

Nov 24, 2012 11:47 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Um, to be completely honest with you I have no idea. I've formated the flash drive on my VAIO and on my macbook, does the flash drive have to be formated in a certain way? I know there is different ways to format a drive and how to set it and everything, but which one will accept .MOV? Here, I'll see how the drive is formatted.........

my drive is formatted to MS-DOS (FAT). I did it on my mac using disk utility.....

Nov 24, 2012 11:55 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Okay, so your responce made me wonder..........I went back to disk utility and formatted my drive but to ExFAT. And it worked!!!!!!

Every time I tried formatting my drive it had MS-DOS FAT as default. But if you change it to ExFAT and erase it it will do that job. Thanks. I'm pretty sure you were going to tell me to change the format. So basically helped me.

Apr 9, 2014 4:36 PM in response to scryet

Here's how I did it:

1. Open disc utility

2. Select the USB drive on the left

3. Click the "erase" button

4. It will give you a "Format" pull down bar, select "Mac extended journaled." That will give you the complete USB to use. I don't suggest case sensitive journaled.

5. Click "Erase and Reformat"

Success!

How can I send a large .MOV file to a USB?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.