Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are Apple email addresses @me @icloud etc good for life? Even if you go with a non-Apple mobile phone later on? Gmail is for life, so the only way someone should switch is if they are for life.

I would like to switch my main email account from @gmail.com to @me.com and @icloud.com, but only if the is some assurance of the long term ownership of these Apple email addresses. I have never seen any such statement. It is unfortunate and irresponsible that colleges and universities offer enticing email accounts that they destroy when anyone leaves or graduates.

And it is just stupid because it would cost very little to sustain them for life, would be good advertising, and likely raise alumni giving by many times more than the cost of the emails. I need to know Apple does not do that when one switches cell phone manufacturer. I mean Steve Jobs is no longer with us, what if product quality declines? And I switch to Samsun but like my Apple email address?

Any thoughts or evidence of Apple's position on this issue would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 6:04 AM

3 replies

Nov 24, 2012 6:10 AM in response to SiddharthaApple

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

I understand your point of view. @mac.com addresses were created in 2005 and they're still running if you have iCloud. As you've seen with MobileMe, Apple discontinued it and deleted all the email addresses that weren't migrated to iCloud, but once you've MobileMe, you don't need an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Mac to migrate to iCloud because you could do it with the computer you want.

Apple won't delete your mail address and, if they're going to do that, they'll advise you, but I can't predict the future

Are Apple email addresses @me @icloud etc good for life? Even if you go with a non-Apple mobile phone later on? Gmail is for life, so the only way someone should switch is if they are for life.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.