Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving clips between computers

I have clips on my computer in iMovie that I want to transfer to my daughters computer (both are fairly recent Macs running 10.8.2) so that she can use them in an iMovie project. How do I best do this? Do I need to put them into a project first? Am I best off using an external drive for the transfer (as opposed to Wi-Fi)? Thanks for any advice!

Dan

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 6:12 AM

1 reply

Nov 24, 2012 7:42 AM in response to DanK

Hi

I think You can connect via Wi-Fi - but read my (general) note on this.

Moving Event's and Project's

Connection - Either connect one Mac in Target mode to the other via FireWire. Or use an external hard disk !

(Target-Mode - Start one Mac e.g. laptop - BUT keep T-key down during full up-start - Now a FW-symbol is jumping around the screen and it will work as an external hard disk when connected to the other Mac)

A. The External Hard Disk - MUST BE - Mac OS Extended (hfs) formatted to work for Video. UNIX/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange works for most other things but not for Video whatever program is used (iMovie or FinalCut)

B. Should be a FireWire one as USB/USB2 performs badly to me and especially when filling up

C. Do never Move or Alter any folder named

• iMovie Event's - or -

• iMovie Project's

on DeskTop/Finder - as this will result in iMovie losing connections to them and repair can be anything from hard to impossibly

D. Moving and Copying must be done within iMovie application and Events to Events - and - Project's to Project's.

E. Moving Project's to Event's - Do not work for me - I have to export project as a QuickTime movie then Import this into Events.

Event's window can show two faces

Like this

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

or like this

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

from one hard disk Event - You can move it to the other hard disk

You can not (at least not me) move Event to Project or other way around only

Event to Event and Project to Project

Yours Bengt W

Moving clips between computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.