Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Over Quota message from spam@me.com?

Why am I getting an "over quota" reply when forwarding a message as attachment to spam@me.com?

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 5:47 AM

7 replies

Nov 24, 2012 9:39 AM in response to mccrich

me also....just started last day or so...was fwdng several "bogus" recent YouTube emails....altho I have now had "failed delivery" msgs when fwding msgs from at least 2 different sources

It sounds like there is a limit on how many msgs you can fwd as spam....which is really crap if true... Added question: what exactly happens when I send a msg to spam@me.com??? I can find no info about it from Apple... :-(

Message was edited by: Rick Ternosky

Nov 24, 2012 9:55 AM in response to Rick Ternosky

Rick Ternosky wrote:

me also....just started last day or so...was fwdng several "bogus" recent YouTube emails....

Yes, a lot of folks have been getting many of those in the last few days. 😟

It sounds like there is a limit on how many msgs you can fwd as spam

No. It seems the flood of reports have overwhelmed Apple's mailbox or servers. Note the message says it's the Apple mailbox that's over quota, not yours.

what exactly happens when I send a msg tospam@me.com???

Usually, you'll get a "Thank you for contacting ..." message, confirming receipt, with a reminder to use Message > Forward as Attachment in Apple Mail. Whatever is causing the failed delivery messages also seems to prevent the confirmations.

Hopefully, Apple will sort this out soon.

Nov 24, 2012 10:12 AM in response to Pondini

Thx, Pondini...appreciate your cmts...re my "what happens..." ???: what does Apple do with/about the msgs users send? I do get the "Thank you..." msg, but was wondering what then? Do they maintain a user specific list of "spam designated" web senders...or something else?? How does sending them the spam actaully help users? OH...and why can't we do it from email on an iPhone? really a pain to have to wait and do it on a computer... 😟

Message was edited by: Rick Ternosky

Nov 24, 2012 10:23 AM in response to Rick Ternosky

Rick Ternosky wrote:

Thx, Pondini...appreciate your cmts...re my "what happens..." ???: what does Apple do with/about the msgs users send?

It's not documented anywhere (for good reason, so spammers can't figure out how to avoid it), but they seem to do a pretty good job of blocking known spam entirely, and marking suspicious stuff as Junk. I know I get far less spam or "Mail thinks this message is Junk Mail" on my Apple accounts than others, even though I use the others very little.

We can only presume that it's based at least partly on how many reports they get with similar attachments.

Do they maintain a user specific list of "spam designated" web senders...or something else??

Doubtful. Most spam has either bogus or false "from" addresses (often real addresses, perhaps even yours, collected from various places). And much of it is actually sent from "bots" -- user's PCs that have been taken over by spammers, so even if you click "All Headers" so the actual sender is available, it doesn't help much (but is still worth doing). Anti-spam software is extremely complex, and quite good at intercepting it. There are reports that at least 95% of spam sent is intercepted and trashed, not delivered.

Over Quota message from spam@me.com?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.