Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No volume control icon in menu

There is no volume control in the menu bar when I use Safari. It's there when I first turn on my computer and the screen is blank, but when I use Safari it disappears. I've also tried Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera as tests, but only Opera has the control. How can I get the icon back?

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 6:07 AM

9 replies

Nov 24, 2012 6:10 AM in response to Niku

How much stuff do you have in the Status Menu area? If an application's menus extend into the Status Menu area, the Status menu items are removed to make room for the application menus.

If that is happening, command-drag the items you always want to see to the right side of the Status Menu area, or get rid of some of the ones you don't need.

Nov 24, 2012 6:15 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

How much stuff do you have in the Status Menu area? If an application's menus extend into the Status Menu area, the Status menu items are removed to make room for the application menus.

If that is happening, command-drag the items you always want to see to the right side of the Status Menu area, or get rid of some of the ones you don't need.

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with that term. Where and what is the "Status Menu area". Tell me how to get there.

Nov 24, 2012 6:23 AM in response to Niku

Wait. I think I underatand now. You're saying that there is too much clutte in my menubar,and that my volume control will return when I remove things that I don't really need, right? Okay, I'll try. There is something there that I don't want, but..well I'll try, anyway.

Nov 24, 2012 6:47 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

The right side of the menu bar is the Status Menu area. All of those items are Status menu items. They are supposed to display the "status" of various things, like wifi level, battery charge, Time Machine activity, etc.

---

My name appeared immediately to the left of "Spotlight" about the time that I was changing the Date and Time format. It takes twelve spaces, and I don't want it there, but how do I remove it? It might help to say that when I click on it, a dropdown menu appears that contains all of the password entry portals that I've ever used. You know, a picture of an apple, or my picture, etc. I hope that removing it will free up my volume control, but I think that was missing even beore my name appeared.

Nov 24, 2012 7:13 AM in response to Niku

Niku wrote:

Wait. I think I underatand now. You're saying that there is too much clutte in my menubar,and that my volume control will return when I remove things that I don't really need, right? Okay, I'll try. There is something there that I don't want, but..well I'll try, anyway.

---

All's well. I held down the COMMAND key and dragged my name onto the desktop Poof! it was gone, and my volume control was back. Thanks.

Nov 24, 2012 2:20 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

That was the Fast User Switching menu. If you don't switch users, you don't need it and can leave it out.

However, if you do need it, you can set it to display only a silouette icon instead of the name. Go to the Login Options in the Users & Groups System Preferences:

User uploaded file

--

Well, I'm the only one here, so I won't bother asking about it. I don't need it--I think.

No volume control icon in menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.