Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do i need to clean my imac?

Hi, I am new to Apple and I have an iMac 27 2.7 GHz intel i5 with 16 gb of RAM and a 1 TB hard drive. Do I need to clean the hard drive and defragment it as I used to with my windows based machines?

It seems to freeze and slow down occasionally and sometimes doesnt shut down.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 7:44 AM

Under Mac OS X defragmentation doesn't need to be done, as far as i can remember Mac OS X does this to a degree by itself.

when you say 'cleaning', emptying the trash, clearing the browser cache and things like that will speed up your Mac.

Just try to not have too many apps and whatnot open at once and it shouldn't freeze or slow down.

Hope that helps.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2012 7:44 AM in response to Harlequin123

Under Mac OS X defragmentation doesn't need to be done, as far as i can remember Mac OS X does this to a degree by itself.

when you say 'cleaning', emptying the trash, clearing the browser cache and things like that will speed up your Mac.

Just try to not have too many apps and whatnot open at once and it shouldn't freeze or slow down.

Hope that helps.

do i need to clean my imac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.