Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini fan noise is unacceptable

Set up new Mac Mini with 1TB Fusion Drive, 2.6 GHz i7, 16GB RAM. Fan is running at high speed all the time. Processor under no stress, just using browser and mail. This is not acceptable. Is this the way the Mini's are? I still have 2007 iMac that never makes a sound. Using TB display.

Bill

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 8:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 8:44 AM

Have you checked Activity Monitor to see if there is a background process runninng?.....if you just set it up perhaps it is indexing the hard drive.....

7 replies

May 3, 2013 3:34 PM in response to John Hammer1

this is my experience with the 2.6Ghz unit I owned.

maybe mine is a faulty one if you are running one. I download "smcfancontrol" to monitor cpu temperature and fan speed

1) go to youtube and type "1080p HD video" and the 1st or 2nd link should be planet earth, watch it and make window 200% and in one min, my cpu temperature will shoot for about 70c and fan speed about 3000 rpm and you'll hear fan noise.

2) click one of my home video clip and use mountain lion finder build-in "encloding" option, within one min, my cPU will be 100c and fan screaming at about 6000rpm. even though I cancel my encoding job, the "avencode" process will not quit and I had to force quit, otherwise the fan and cpu will stay the above speed/temp.

I don't have either of these problems with 2.3ghz cpu with the same 1T fusion drive. Both units are brandnew and I haven't installed many problems. I noticed the 2.6ghz problem right away after I got the unit, it's unusable for me because of frequent fan noise(hinting cpu high) and I had to order a 2.3ghz unit. I'll return my 2.6ghz one today.

right now I'm using my new 2.3ghz. just for testing run a imovie export job using quicktime and my cpu is about 85 and fan is at very low 2000rpm and I don't hear anything. this is impossible with my 2.6ghz unit which my fan rpm will be likely to be in 5000rpm range and you'll hear a lot of noise because of that.

Mac Mini fan noise is unacceptable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.