Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

forgot password pages

Hi !

First, I of course know this question was asked lots of time but... maybe any solutions were found and not displayed.

As lots of people, I encrypted a pages document and (it's normal) I forgot it. Of course, I don't need to tell that my document was pretty important for me...

Do you think it would be any way to open my document ?? My first idea was that by typping a wrong password more than 3 times, a popup windows would propose me to help founding the lost password.But no.

I also thought I would be able to "open content of package" but this option is not displayed since the file is encrypted.

Finally my last hope was that the password would be saved in my icloud account (since I've pages and documents on the cloud, seemed logical) ; But, again, no.

So : any idea / help ?!

Thanks a lot

iWork pages-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 10:42 AM

14 replies

Sep 20, 2017 1:32 PM in response to Marc2012H

I have exacythe same problem. I know exactly what the password is and remember it and the story behind it vividly, but it may not be working because of where I am trying to access it from. I wrote the document on my school iPad , but since it was wiped clean every year, I sent the document to my grandparents, who were the only other people with a personal apple device I knew at the time. I then sent the document back to myself in an email. It's maybe three years after I did that, and I definitely know what the password is, but it still isn't letting me in and isn't providing a hint. Fortunately the document isn't crucial, but it would be very nice and very useful to be able to get into it.

Oct 26, 2017 7:47 PM in response to laul

I know this is an old question but I had the lock out issue on a pages document today. I knew the password logged in and made some edits. After I made changes to the pages document and saved it, I tried to reopen it after saving it. It denied me access many times.

I went to Time Machine and found the file I needed. I restored it to the time right before my edits and was able to recover what I had prior to the new changes.

I hope this helps someone.

Nov 24, 2012 3:48 PM in response to laul

If you lost your Document password in Pages, there is a way to recover the password but only if it's a recent recent Document, the system password settings are correct and most importantly, you are the System Administrator.

In the Applications Icon on the Dock, open your Utilities File and click on "Keychain Access." After it opens and in the far left column under "Category," click on "...Passwords." If they are not Alphabetized already, click "NAME" at the top of the column it will alphabetize all the Passwords Names. Find "Password.pages," click on and it will bring up the "ATTRIBUTES/ACCESS CONTROL" and click the "SHOW PASSWORD" box. Enter the System Password and it will show you the password.

I heard there is another way to hack the password through "TERMINAL" but it's very involved and rather lengthy. I lost a password for an older document and hope that someone has the knowledge to open it by using another program or the steps necessary to open it through Terminal.

But Come'on Apple!... There has to be a way to open the Document. If Team *GhostShell can Hack and Publish one million records, allegedly from banks, government agencies, consulting firms and others, a simple document should be opened if the password is lost or forgotton. I believe privacy concerns will not allow any Apple Employee to help but there should be a way if the System Administrator on a single system lost or forgot their password.

*http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57501931-83/hackers-vow-hellfire-in-latest-majo r-data-leak/

Nov 24, 2012 3:58 PM in response to SkyJester

As told before, I didn't create the password but my father. I'll asked him to have a look on your explanation. However, I'm pretty sure it's an old file, older then his computer. But I keep my fingers crossed !

I already tried using terminal to show the content of package. I also tried virtually zipping and unzipping. but unable to perform.

I totally agree with your last sentences ; and, really, apple would think a way to improve all it's cloud files management system to be more efficient and helpfull for users... The proof is probably written by Jerrold Green1 : "You are not the first person to come with that problem".

Mar 13, 2015 1:10 AM in response to laul

Well,

Mine is a bit weird.

At first, I set a password to a specific document, and been using the same password for almost a thousand time, BUT today I tried to go in my document, but Pages won't let me in and it said it's a wrong password (?!), plus I NEVER change my password and how come suddenly my password didn't work....

Please help...

Thanks,

Marco

Jul 3, 2016 6:45 AM in response to laul

I had the same problem, unfortunately you can't discover or recovered the password if you did not (select) 'add to keychain' when creating or entering the correct password one of the previous times.

Technically, the password is "hash"ed inside the document so there is no way even apple can recover it. Except of course they used a different technique (Which I doubt very much)

However, in my case I kept trying for hours till I tried an all lower case version of my normal password. The point being you might have slightly altered the password you suspect to be the password. So don't give up if its an important file.

Aug 14, 2016 2:07 AM in response to laul

Hi. Same problem. Nothing very important, but irritating that I have forgotten the password on two documents, and don´t remember what´s on them. (Never drink and write:-))

However, just tested once again and found out: If you right click the document and open the Package Content, you can see a Jpg-image of the first page. Didn´t help me much, but now I can throw them without wondering what was on them. Good luck.

forgot password pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.