Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ringtones are in my library but won't show up in the tones folder

I have iTunes10 and an iPhone 5. The files are the correct format (m4r), they show up in my music library as a ringtone, the tones folder is already showing, but the ringtones do not show up in my tones folder. I have already tried saving the files to the desktop and then deleting them from my music library and then opening the file from the desktop. It automatically adds it back to my music library as a ringtone but does not add it to the tones folder. Does anyone have any idea why iTunes won't allow me to put anything in my Tones folder and nothing will show up in there even if it is the right file format?

Also, because there is nothing in the tones folder when I connect my iPhone there is no tones tab at the top of the screen to allow me to select any syncing options. The tones folder shows on the left side of the screen when I click on the iPhone to expand it but no tab at the top and it won't let me put anything in the tones folder under my iPhone either. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 11:26 AM

4 replies

Jul 29, 2013 1:03 PM in response to Evy13

I am having the same problem. I spent three hours on the phone with Apple Reps last night. They first said that they would have to reinstate ? my permissions, which they did (I had also lost some music) but after an hour of downloads, I still had no tones. Spoke with another Rep and they said if I purchased the Tones on Istore they should show up. I had. They didn't. Then said that it could be the "older" music was no longer compatible and it MUST be purchased through Itunes Store to show up in Tones automatically. So...I bought almost $20 of Tones last night after I hung up, and NONE Of them show up in my Tones folder. I have tried everything. I cannot move them by drag and drop.

This has been an ongoing problem for me for over a year, and so far, I cannot get any help.

I was asked if it was possible if I had different Libraries. I told them I don't know, since I have used Itunes since 2009 (and like the old version much better) and I have never changed my Itunes login or password. I have however, had different computers. I hope someone can help with this issue.

Aug 12, 2014 5:27 PM in response to bonjo121

Ok, I think I found an answer...after about 3 hrs searching and playing. If you look at your m4r folder in the music library under the info, you'll find that while it shows as an m4r file format, it gives a media type of music and not tone. That's what's keeping it from going in the tone folder. Here's what I did to fix. After I created the AAC version and opened the file in my explorer / finder window and changed to mr4, I drug that version to my desktop first before trying to open in Itunes. I went to iTunes and deleted the m4a version I created before I changed it to m4r and then I went to my desktop and double clicked on the file. It then opened in the tone folder instead of the music library like it is supposed to. Apparently, having the m4a file in iTunes when I open the m4r file merges them or something. Not sure if this will help anyone else, but it fixed the problem for me finally. I was really thinking that iTunes put a kabosh on us doing it this way. Good to go now! Good luck everyone.

Jul 31, 2015 1:07 AM in response to christiannautah

This worked for me. iTunes put the tones in the music folder and labelled them as music.

1. I searched the ringtones in the music folder, searching for .m4r. I found them.
  2. Copied them to desktop.
  3. In iTunes I looked up the files in music/albums. If you purchased it, it is going to be in its respective album, or if you created it, it can be in untitled album, or in the album that corresponds the folder you found the file in. I found the files.
  4. I deleted the tones showing up as music in the music library in itunes with right click, delete and delete files. I deleted all respective, same titled songs as well, but you might want to make a backup first.
  5. I renamed the files copied to the desktop. Choose an appropriate title.
  6. I added all the files copied to the desktop and then renamed to the iTunes library with the cmd+O command and then they simply appeared in the tones folder of iTunes.
  7. I resynced my iPhone and voilá, I have all the tones I had previously.

Ringtones are in my library but won't show up in the tones folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.