Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband version missing some sounds/instruments.

Hi there, my version of Garageband seems to be missing some sounds/instruments. Is there any way that I could get them back? Many thanks for any help!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 12:32 PM

What is your GarageBand version?

In my GarageBand '11 Version (6.0.5) the instrument library is installed in the system library:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/

If there are instruments missing, you could try to restore them from your backup to this location. If this is not possible, you need to reinstall GarageBand. How did you buy it? Do you have installation media, or did GB come preinstalled?

Regards

Léonie

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2012 12:32 PM in response to drgonzo_ca

What is your GarageBand version?

In my GarageBand '11 Version (6.0.5) the instrument library is installed in the system library:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/

If there are instruments missing, you could try to restore them from your backup to this location. If this is not possible, you need to reinstall GarageBand. How did you buy it? Do you have installation media, or did GB come preinstalled?

Regards

Léonie

Nov 24, 2012 6:21 PM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie,

Thanks for responding.

I have the same version as you. GB is taking uop260.2 MBs on my hard drive.I have 1 TB of storage so no problem there.

I went to the system library and it goes to three headings of plug in settings, sampler, and track settings. There are some additional sounds there but some have to enter the serial number of the Mac. I do that and it says it is not valid. Any thoughts about that? In an event there are not a lot of additional instruments/sounds.

I am the second owner of this dual processor iMac which is running 10.6.8 Mac OSX. It came with 2 iMac install DVDs and nothing else.

I am new to Apple, loving it btw, so I don't know how to restore from a backup position yet, if I even have one. In any event I don't have a GB DVD or an iLife DVD.

Any further sjuggestions would be very helpful!

Thanks, Jim

Nov 25, 2012 2:05 AM in response to drgonzo_ca

I went to the system library and it goes to three headings of plug in settings, sampler, and track settings.

This is the location, where most of the installers add samplers for additional instruments, plug-ins for effects, etc.

There are some additional sounds there but some have to enter the serial number of the Mac. I do that and it says it is not valid.

This I do not understand. Do you see a panel "The item xxx cannot be moved because 'Application Support' cannot be modified"? And with a button 'Authentificate'? If yes, this is because the System library is maintained by the system and specially protected. Changing it requires authentification as an administrator. To move or modify certain items in the system library you will have to enter your administrator password, not the serial number of the mac.

In any event I don't have a GB DVD or an iLife DVD.

Check, if there are "optional installs" on your second installation DVD - can you install iLife from that DVD?

I am new to Apple, loving it btw, so I don't know how to restore from a backup position yet, if I even have one.

Then you probably do not have a backup, and I recommend you get started with planning a backup strategy for your Mac. The easiest way to backup a Mac is Time Machine - you only need an external drive, connect it, configure Time Machine from your System Preferences, and Time Machine will automatically backup your computer hourly when the drive is connected.

my version of Garageband seems to be missing some sounds/instruments.

What instruments and sounds are missing? And where/how do you see them missing?

Maybe it is a setup problem and they are not missing at all? GarageBand can filter your instruments and Loops, and with the wrong setting only a few may be displayed:

• Depending on the type of track "Real Instrument/ Software instrument" you see a different selection of instruments.
  • The pop-up menu at the top of the Track Info panel should be set to "Show all", otherwise the selection for loops and instruments will be further restricted.
  • Also, there is the preference setting in the "Loops" preference panel "Filter for more relevant results". This will restrict the selection of the loops to those with similar key and tempo.

User uploaded file

Regards

Léonie

Nov 25, 2012 3:10 PM in response to léonie

Progress Leonie!!

The Loops Preferences added more sounds. Thanks!

And I will get Time Machine set up.

However, back to the library. I go to Instrument library, then to plug in settings, then to bass (for example), then to the first item which is Fingerstyle Electric Bass.pst Modified November 22, 2003 (4KB). I click on that and a licensing tab window pops up asking for name, organization, and serial number. I put in my name and serial number and a window pops up saying serial number is invalid. I and I checked it twice.

I know that some sounds are missing. For example when I go in Loops, Bass, the fifth sound down is Discopick bass. There are no number 3 or 4 sounds. It goes from number 2 to number 5.

I am going to check the second install disk tomorrow when I get a friend over who knows more about this than me. I don't want to make things worse!!

Many thanks, again in advance, for any help.

Cheers, Jim

Garageband version missing some sounds/instruments.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.