Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressing iTunes songs

The sound recording/editing program I have used for years is temporarily (I hope) disfunctional, so I need something to replace it until I can get it fixed. What is an easy way to compress MP3 files? Along those lines, I have been trying various ways of compresssing a 6 MB file, but the result is always just another 6 MB file. I'm talking only about song files in my iTunes library, most of which are in the MP3 format.

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 2:11 PM

10 replies

Nov 24, 2012 7:15 PM in response to Niku

Niku wrote:

The sound recording/editing program I have used for years is temporarily (I hope) disfunctional, so I need something to replace it until I can get it fixed. What is an easy way to compress MP3 files? Along those lines, I have been trying various ways of compresssing a 6 MB file, but the result is always just another 6 MB file. I'm talking only about song files in my iTunes library, most of which are in the MP3 format.

To make an MP3 smaller, you need to re-encode it at a lower bit rate. The bit rate can be set by going to Preferences > Import Settings, and choosing a lower bit rate from the Custom menu.

Be aware that the conversion process creates a new MP3 and leaves the original in place, so make sure you are looking at the new one. Also be aware that compressing an MP3 will irreversibly reduce its audio quality.

Nov 24, 2012 7:41 PM in response to ed2345

ed2345 wrote:

Niku wrote:

To make an MP3 smaller, you need to re-encode it at a lower bit rate. The bit rate can be set by going to Preferences > Import Settings, and choosing a lower bit rate from the Custom menu.

Be aware that the conversion process creates a new MP3 and leaves the original in place, so make sure you are looking at the new one. Also be aware that compressing an MP3 will irreversibly reduce its audio quality.

Sounds promising, but I need to know one more thing: Do I have to make the compressed copy while playing, and recording, the original, or can I simply highlight the original and then follow your instructions? In other words, if the second method is feasible, I wouldn't have to wait for, say, three minute to make the compressed copy. Oh, I just relized that with my recording/editing program down I can't do any recording, so your method will be perfect.Thanks in advance.

Nov 24, 2012 7:51 PM in response to Niku

Select a bunch of tracks and let it do them in one go. Depending upon the speed of your computer and size of the tracks it will only take a few tens of seconds per track to encode.

iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1550 - including information about different formats and discussion about compression.

Topic: Need to convert mp4 to mp3 - Zevoneer's post on converting songs - http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=9244740

Nov 24, 2012 8:51 PM in response to ed2345

ed2345 wrote:

Niku,

In iTunes, right-click the track in your library and choose "Create MP3 version." The conversion only takes a few seconds.

--

Most of them are already in the MP3 format, or rather MPEG, which I understand is just about the same thing as MP3. However, you now have me worried. Do you original instructions still hold?

Apr 29, 2015 7:07 AM in response to ed2345

ed2345 wrote:

Niku,

In iTunes, right-click the track in your library and choose "Create MP3 version." The conversion only takes a few seconds.

You're right, and that's the method I'm using now. I can't remember where I first learned it, but I'm sure it hasn't always been available. It must have been introduced in an iTunes update. So, some of them are for the better. Unfortunately many of them weren't, and I struggled for awhile trying to revert to earlier versions.

Apr 29, 2015 1:55 PM in response to Niku

Niku wrote:

ed2345 wrote:

Niku,

You're right, and that's the method I'm using now....

Hello Niku,

Glad it worked out. And, I hope you have been enjoying some good music in the intervening two-and-a-half years. 🙂

Ed

Compressing iTunes songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.